[comp.emacs] Where can I buy Emacs or some other Real Editor for my Mac?

bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) (07/27/89)

When I last asked about editors, I asked about VI and got many
hat in hand, asking for information on Emacs or other Real Editors
for the Mac.  I would like to buy such a beast (say less than $600).
What I want for my money is:
 * multiple windows on multiple monitors
 * almost all interaction is done without my hands leaving the keyboard
What would be nice, but not essential is:
 * extension language or hooks

Thanks again to those who've helped before,
Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson
bnfb@june.cs.washington.edu

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (07/27/89)

In article <33492@apple.Apple.COM> bnfb@Apple.COM (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:
>When I last asked about editors, I asked about VI and got many
>hat in hand, asking for information on Emacs or other Real Editors
>for the Mac.  I would like to buy such a beast (say less than $600).
>What I want for my money is:
> * multiple windows on multiple monitors
> * almost all interaction is done without my hands leaving the keyboard
>What would be nice, but not essential is:
> * extension language or hooks
>
>Thanks again to those who've helped before,
>Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson
>bnfb@june.cs.washington.edu

You might try MacJove, which features both traditional Jove/Emacs keyboard
usage along with a Mac interface for those who want it. It does not yet offer
an extensibility language, but you can do quite a bit with macros, which are
fully supported, along with your own keybindings and customization. The last
version posted to the net was 4.9. This was over a year ago. The current
version is 4.12, and is available via anonymous ftp from our site in the
directory pub/jove/4.12, in both source form and as a Stuffit archive of the
program itself. I don't know if it will be posted to the comp.binaries.mac
or not. The price is right ($0), so you might as well try it. You might also
want to try Micro-Emacs, which is also available.

 Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Laboratories
 Univ of Pgh.
 km@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu