[comp.emacs] Anybody hacked up texinfo with Umlauten ?

schmidt@cadlab.cadlab.de (Michael Schmidt) (08/08/89)

We would like to use GNU Emacs' texinfo system as an internal
documentation carrier. But, most of the time we are speaking
german to each other. And so should our documentation. Is there
any possibility (despite of @iftex and @ifinfo, that is not
acceptable) to get e.g. an Umlaut a in the printed manual and a
"ae" in the info file or an \ss{} in the printed manual and a
"ss" in the info file?
--
    Michael Schmidt, CADLAB / FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Bahnhofstr. 32,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

Duchier-Denys@cs.yale.edu (Denys Duchier) (08/09/89)

In article <557@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab (Michael Schmidt) writes:
> We would like to use GNU Emacs' texinfo system as an internal
> documentation carrier. But, most of the time we are speaking
> german to each other. And so should our documentation. Is there
> any possibility (despite of @iftex and @ifinfo, that is not
> acceptable) to get e.g. an Umlaut a in the printed manual and a
> "ae" in the info file or an \ss{} in the printed manual and a
> "ss" in the info file?
> --
>     Michael Schmidt, CADLAB / FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Bahnhofstr. 32,
>                      D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany
> Mail:   schmidt@cadlab.UUCP         or          schmidt@cadlab.de

(defun texinfo-format-umlaut ()
  (texinfo-discard-command)
  (goto-char texinfo-command-start)
  (skip-chars-forward " \t\n")
  (delete-region texinfo-command-start (point))
  (cond ((not (eobp))
	 (let ((char (char-after (point))))
	   (cond ((memq char '(?a ?o ?u))
		  (forward-char 1)
		  (insert ?e)))))))

(put '\" 'texinfo-format 'texinfo-format-umlaut)

(defun texinfo-format-esset ()
  (texinfo-discard-command)
  (goto-char texinfo-command-start)
  (insert "ss")
  (if (looking-at "{}")
      (delete-char 2)
    (let ((start (point)))
      (skip-chars-forward " \t\n")
      (delete-region start (point)))))

(put 'ss 'texinfo-format 'texinfo-format-esset)

--Denys

jcgs@wundt.harlqn.uucp (John Sturdy) (08/09/89)

In <557@cadlab.cadlab.de>, schmidt@cadlab.cadlab.de (Michael Schmidt) writes:
> We would like to use GNU Emacs' texinfo system as an internal
> documentation carrier. But, most of the time we are speaking
> german to each other. And so should our documentation. Is there
> any possibility (despite of @iftex and @ifinfo, that is not
> acceptable) to get e.g. an Umlaut a in the printed manual and a
> "ae" in the info file or an \ss{} in the printed manual and a
> "ss" in the info file?
I think this can be done at the TeX end, by defining ae as a
"ligature". I don't have a TeXbook handy, and I'm not sure of the
details offhand, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. You may have
local installation notes with your TeX concerning non-English
customizations (depending on where you got your TeX distribution from).
I've added comp.text to the newsgroups field, as that is probably the
most helpful place for this one.
--
__John            When asked to attend a court case, Father Moses took with him
          a leaking jug of water. Asked about it, he said: "You ask me to judge

                jcgs@uk.co.harlqn (UK notation) jcgs@harlqn.co.uk (most places)
    ...!mcvax!ukc!harlqn!jcgs (uucp - really has more stages, but ukc knows us)
John Sturdy                                            Telephone +44-223-872522
                      Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambridge, UK