[net.unix-wizards] Hayes Callback

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (root) (04/10/86)

~ From: Mike Mc Namara <mac%tflop.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
~ Subject: Hayes auto call back
~ Date: 8 Apr 86 01:54:05 GMT
~ To:       unix-wizards@brl-sem.arpa
~
~ 	Ok, I'm sure you've heard it asked before, but does anyone have
~ 	software that lets them run hayes smartmodem1200 in a call back
~ 	mode?

Hayes Now! Anything for a fellow Deadhead! Why don't you try hacking
UUCICO to exec a shell instead of doing UUCP stuff after it calls back?
You would have to have two copies of your account names (one for normal
hard wired, one for dialup) or a shell script that knew the difference.
Also, you probably have to run the Hayes with no reply codes. What
system are you running?

~ 	I want to have people dial in, talk to a program, which basically
~ 	extracts an account name from them, then the program looks them
~ 	up in a database, and if it is a real account, dials them back
~ 	on a preagreed number, and execs login on the port.
~
~ 	(Sounds like I'm implementing security... You got it!)
~
~ 	(actually, the people here think it's for security... I live in a different
~ 	dialing zone than I work, and calls from my home are long distance!
~ 	If however, I install this ``SECURITY FEATURE'' then Work pays for
~ 	calls to Work's machine!)

Sneaky!

~ | Michael Mc Namara              | Let the words by yours, I'm done with mine.
~ | dual!vecpyr!tflop!mac          | May your life proceed by its own design.

Hayes Modem, can't you hear me when I call?
Well you ain't so big,
You long distance, that's just about all.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj@cmr>
	Baseball in D.C. in `87!