[comp.emacs] How to make Emacs keep quiet?

sommar@enea.se (Erland Sommarskog) (08/19/89)

(Please respond by mail or reply to comp.editors. I don't read
gnu.emacs or comp.emacs.)

This is probably an easy RTFM question, but I'm starting to
realize that I'm not going through the Emacs-Lisp manual
until Christmas, and I'm sick'n'tired of this behaviour NOW.

Every once in a while when I'm using this editor it inter-
rupts me to tell me "Auto-saving...done", "Garbage-collection...
done". I don't want that. Auto-saving seems like a good idea
so I like to have it on, but I want it to happen QUIETLY.
  On top of all: the most common message is the fantastic
"Buffer xxxx has shrunk a lot. Not autosaving.", since I
mainly use Unix to read and write news and mail which means
that I start with a big file from which I cut everything except
that I comment. It's really a pain. Particulary on a 75/1200 line.
And I would like it to auto-save even if the buffer "has shrunk
a lot". Tell me, how do I do. The editor just can't be that
!"#$%&/(/) stupid that it is not impossible.
  I would also like to Emacs stop echoing prefix keys. It's a good
idea but it becomes absurd when your using keypad keys as prefix
keys as I do.

I have my very personal profile, so any Lisp is OK. I'm not
interested in source code changes. I'm not the only one on
the machine using GNU-Emacs. We're using 18.48 on a SUN-4.

--
Erland Sommarskog - ENEA Data, Stockholm - sommar@enea.se
"Hey poor, you don't have to be Jesus!" - Front 242

jbw@USWEST.COM (Joe Wells) (08/23/89)

   Every once in a while when I'm using this editor it inter-
   rupts me to tell me "Auto-saving...done", "Garbage-collection...
   done". I don't want that. Auto-saving seems like a good idea
   so I like to have it on, but I want it to happen QUIETLY.

I disagree with this part.  The messages are very helpful for
understanding why GNU Emacs is not responding to the keys you're typing.

     On top of all: the most common message is the fantastic
   "Buffer xxxx has shrunk a lot. Not autosaving.", since I
   mainly use Unix to read and write news and mail which means
   that I start with a big file from which I cut everything except
   that I comment. It's really a pain. Particulary on a 75/1200 line.
   And I would like it to auto-save even if the buffer "has shrunk
   a lot". Tell me, how do I do. The editor just can't be that
   !"#$%&/(/) stupid that it is not impossible.

I agree with you completely.  Unfortunately, this particular behaviour is
in the C code, and is harder for the ordinary user to fix.  I suggest that
everyone who dislikes this behaviour should post to gnu.emacs and/or send
mail to RMS.  Maybe if enough of us complain it will go away or become an
option.

(If you can't post to gnu.emacs, send mail to info-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu)

   I would also like to Emacs stop echoing prefix keys. It's a good
   idea but it becomes absurd when your using keypad keys as prefix
   keys as I do.

According to the manual:

 (setq echo-keystrokes 0)

--
Joe Wells <jbw@uswest.com>
jbw%maverick.uswest.com@boulder.colorado.edu

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/24/89)

In article <8908221704.AA13619@ketchum.uswest.com> jbw@USWEST.COM (Joe Wells) writes:

>    I would also like to Emacs stop echoing prefix keys. It's a good
>    idea but it becomes absurd when your using keypad keys as prefix
>    keys as I do.
>
> According to the manual:
>
>  (setq echo-keystrokes 0)

Yesterday I upgraded Emacs 18.50 to 18.54 on a ICM32-2, to find
that one of the most annoying features of that (possibly broken) 18.50
version had disappeared: keystrokes were echoed immedately instead of
after a small pause. Could it be that the original poster has been
bitten by this bug?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

erlkonig@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Christopher North-Keys) (08/25/89)

Quoted from Johan Vromans:
v> Yesterday I upgraded Emacs 18.50 to 18.54 on a ICM32-2, to find
v> that one of the most annoying features of that (possibly broken) 18.50
v> version had disappeared: keystrokes were echoed immedately instead of
v> after a small pause. Could it be that the original poster has been
v> bitten by this bug?

I'm assuming Johan is speaking of keystroke sequences rather than
delays at text input.  If I'm wrong, don't bother reading the rest.

Still here?  Fine.

This feature prevented those who knew what they had typed from having
to look at it anyway.  The principle appeared to be to only echo
when the user seemed to forget what he what doing, or the correct
sequence to accomplish it.  The only time I ever see the echo is when
I've just miskeyed a sequence and need to see what was entered before
continuing.   Nice on a slow terminal.

I'm still running under 18.52, so I'm saddened to hear that delayed
echo may have been omitted.  Assuming that this loss is not a bug,
has anyone else seen it and if so is there a way to achieve the more
conservative delayed effect?

------------------------------------/\----------------------------------------
Seo:  Harp[@Mcc.Com]               /  \/\ ^*^           Christopher North-Keys
Tha mi gu trang a'cluich.         /    \ \          Systems Administrator, MCC

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (08/26/89)

In article <17596@ut-emx.UUCP> erlkonig@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Christopher

   From: erlkonig@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Christopher North-Keys)
   Newsgroups: comp.emacs
   Date: 25 Aug 89 04:42:25 GMT

   I'm still running under 18.52, so I'm saddened to hear that delayed
   echo may have been omitted.  Assuming that this loss is not a bug,
   has anyone else seen it and if so is there a way to achieve the more
   conservative delayed effect?

I'm running GNU Emacs 18.54 and it still has the delayed echo and it works
just fine.

Kim
--
 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
( Kimmo Suominen             Electronic Mail on Internet:  kim@kannel.lut.fi )

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/27/89)

In article <17596@ut-emx.UUCP> erlkonig@walt.cc.utexas.edu
(Christopher North-Keys) writes:

   I'm still running under 18.52, so I'm saddened to hear that delayed
   echo may have been omitted.

Don't be afraid - delayed echo is still as it should be. The upgrade
eliminated a timing bug due to a broken compiler on a broken machine.
Not an emacs bug!

	Johan