[comp.emacs] Problem getting GNU to work on IBM-RT AOS4.3

CWUGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (08/24/89)

I finished building GNU18.52 under IBM-RT and on invoking emacs under
Xwindows I get a "Stack underflow in byte code (byte code compiler bug) pc=98"
error. I am unable to save a file or do anything meaningful. I am unable
to figure out what the problem could be. I am running AOS (BSD4.3 Dec 88 rel)
and used IBM's high C compiler to build the emacs.

I would appreciate any help or pointers to where to begin looking ? I recompile
the bytecode.c and it still gave me errors.

                              Thanks in advance

                                               C Wu

brunner@bullhead.uucp (09/06/89)

In article <2496CWUGC@CUNYVM> CWUGC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I finished building GNU18.52 under IBM-RT and on invoking emacs under
>Xwindows I get a "Stack underflow in byte code (byte code compiler bug) pc=98"
>error. I am unable to save a file or do anything meaningful. I am unable
>to figure out what the problem could be. I am running AOS (BSD4.3 Dec 88 rel)
>and used IBM's high C compiler to build the emacs.
>
>I would appreciate any help or pointers to where to begin looking ? I recompile
>the bytecode.c and it still gave me errors.
>
>                              Thanks in advance
>
>                                               C Wu

First things first: which compiler version do you have?
You may want to compile emacs with the 2.1s version of
the Metaware C compiler. To determine the version, use
the -v switch when invoking the compiler, "cc -v foo.c"
you'll get:

/lib/cpp -D__STDC__ -D__HIGHC__ /u/brunner/usr/lib/hctest.c /tmp/pp.000602
/usr/lib/hc1com /tmp/pp.000602 -efile @E -silent -on CHAR_DEFAULT_UNSIGNED -off DOUBLE_MATH_ONLY -on DOUBLE_RETURN -on LONG_ENUMS -off PCC -on PCC_MSGS -ofile /tmp/IL1000602 -vfile /tmp/var000602 -machine rtfl -define ibm032 1 -pro hc.pro -copyr -dir /usr/include
MetaWare High C Compiler R2.1s
(c) Copyright 1987-89, MetaWare Incorporated
/usr/lib/hc2com -i /tmp/IL1000602 -V /tmp/var000602 -s /u/brunner/usr/lib/hctest.c -S /tmp/S000602 -e -T /tmp/HC2000602
/bin/as -o hctest.o -V /tmp/S000602
/bin/ld -X -o /tmp/hctest /lib/crt0.o hctest.o -lc

The version number is on the line above the copyright,
2.1s is the latest version. See my posting of a few days
ago for details.

If you can't get the 2.1s version, send me the bytecode.c file.

Eric Brunner, IBM AWD Palo Alto
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu or brunner%ibmsupt@uunet.uu.net
uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner		(415) 855-4486