[comp.emacs] Filtering incoming mail

wand@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Mitchell Wand) (09/06/89)

Has anyone out there written any E-Lisp code to automatically look at incoming
mail and distribute it among different mail files?  This would approximate a
personal bulletin board system.

Ideally, such a system would do the following:

(1) when mail is read, file it "appropriately", based perhaps on an
association list using some regexps (easily user-modifiable), and

(2) allow the user to find out which of his or her mail files contain unread
messages.

I know there are fancy systems out there to do this sort of thing (eg the
Information Lens), but GNU Emacs seems to be a good home for at least a simple
version.  Any ideas?

Mitchell Wand
College of Computer Science
Northeastern University
360 Huntington Avenue #161CN
Boston, MA 02115

CSNet:  wand@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu

wand@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Mitchell Wand) (09/07/89)

[This is a retransmission; I don't think it got out to the whole list the
first time --mw]

jbw@bucsf.bu.edu (Joe Wells) (09/07/89)

In article <8909061728.AA01804@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU> wand@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Mitchell Wand) writes:

   [This is a retransmission; I don't think it got out to the whole list the
   first time --mw]

It did.

   (1) when mail is read, file it "appropriately", based perhaps on an
   association list using some regexps (easily user-modifiable), and

I would suggest trying the "vm" mail reading package.  It has the ability
to file messages based upon regexp matching within the message headers.

   (2) allow the user to find out which of his or her mail files contain unread
   messages.

Do you mean the messages would be filed before they were read the first
time?

--
Joe Wells <jbw@bucsf.bu.edu>
jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu

rlk@think.com (Robert Krawitz) (09/08/89)

In article <37628@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, jbw@bucsf (Joe Wells) writes:
]
]   (2) allow the user to find out which of his or her mail files contain unread
]   messages.
]
]Do you mean the messages would be filed before they were read the first
]time?

There's a package called pmd (Personal Mail Daemon) that does just this.
It was originally developed by Jim Aspnes, then at Project Athena and
now at CMU, and has since been modified slightly by me.  It's available
via anonymous FTP from think.com (131.239.2.1) as /pmdc.tar.Z.

It consists of the rule compiler (you write a rules file that tells pmd
what to do, and it compiles it into a binary executable), the runtime
support, and some documentation.

Use of this program is advantageous for rmail users, as it can be
configured to deliver mail in babyl format rather than mail format,
which is faster and less prone to errors.
--
ames >>>>>>>>>  |	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>	245 First St.
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk				Cambridge, MA  02142

kayvan@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Kayvan Sylvan) (09/08/89)

In article <8909060213.AA19939@corwin.CCS.Northeastern.EDU>
wand@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Mitchell Wand) writes:

> From: wand@CORWIN.CCS.NORTHEASTERN.EDU (Mitchell Wand)
> Newsgroups: comp.emacs
> Date: 6 Sep 89 02:13:07 GMT
>
> Has anyone out there written any E-Lisp code to automatically look at incoming
> mail and distribute it among different mail files?  This would approximate a
> personal bulletin board system.
>
> Ideally, such a system would do the following:

VM does this. It's great stuff!!

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112