[comp.emacs] uemacs 3.10 can't rebind Del

djm@wam.UMD.EDU (09/12/89)

MicroEMACS 3.10 apparently doesn't recognize that 0x7f (Del) is an
unprintable character, so when you run describe-key it shows a blank
where "^?" or some other visual representation should be.

And since it doesn't seem to provide any visual way to type an 0x7f,
you can't use bind-to-key on it either.  If you type a literal Del it
backspaces, and if you type "^?" it says "[No such function]".
unbind-key does work, however.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@wam.umd.edu>

in article <8909121501.AA16550@cscwam.UMD.EDU>, djm@wam.UMD.EDU says:
$
$
$ MicroEMACS 3.10 apparently doesn't recognize that 0x7f (Del) is an
$ unprintable character, so when you run describe-key it shows a blank
$ where "^?" or some other visual representation should be.
$
$ And since it doesn't seem to provide any visual way to type an 0x7f,
$ you can't use bind-to-key on it either.  If you type a literal Del it
$ backspaces, and if you type "^?" it says "[No such function]".
$ unbind-key does work, however.
$ --
$ David J. MacKenzie <djm@wam.umd.edu>

If you want a permanent change to what 0x7F does, modify ebind.h in the
obvious spot and recompile.

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home: ...uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]

djm@wam.UMD.EDU (09/13/89)

In article <4566@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>in article <8909121501.AA16550@cscwam.UMD.EDU>, djm@wam.UMD.EDU says:
>$ And since it doesn't seem to provide any visual way to type an 0x7f,
>$ you can't use bind-to-key on it either.  If you type a literal Del it
>$ backspaces, and if you type "^?" it says "[No such function]".
>
>If you want a permanent change to what 0x7F does, modify ebind.h in the
>obvious spot and recompile.

Unfortunately, I want to bind that key to a macro.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@wam.umd.edu>