[comp.emacs] Origin of term "Emacs"

swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu (Steve Wooldridge) (08/09/89)

I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an
acronym for something? I have checked several computer dictionaries
in the University Library reference collection but only one had the
term in it, and it told me what emacs is (which I already know).

Can anyone help me out on this? Please reply to my internet address
if you please. Thanks!

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (08/09/89)

In article <2481@orion.cf.uci.edu> swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu (Steve Wooldridge) writes:
>I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an
>acronym for something? I have checked several computer dictionaries
>in the University Library reference collection but only one had the
>term in it, and it told me what emacs is (which I already know).
>
>Can anyone help me out on this? Please reply to my internet address
>if you please. Thanks!

Emacs == Editing MACros.  Emacs was originally implemented circa 1971
under ITS (Incompatible Timesharing System) at MIT when Richard M
Stallman (the same) added code to TECO to handle "dispatch vectors",
ie, keymaps.  In TECO one usually writes code in the form of macros,
puts them into "q-registers", and executes them with the `m' (macro)
command - eg, `mq' to execute the contents of q-register q as a macro.

TECO, like LISP, represents code and data identically, so programs
written in these languages may easily act upon, amoung other things,
programs written in these languages, such as themselves.  In these
languages it is reasonably common to find programs which may rewrite
or elaborate parts of themselves, or at least are able to do so.
Of the two, LISP is easily the more readable.  In fact, TECO (along
with APL) has been described as a write-only language.

Does anyone have a TECO emulator for GNU Elisp yet?

Lum

(Actually, you probably want a copy of an old MIT Technical Report
on Emacs, if I can find my copy so I can tell you what to ask for.)
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (08/10/89)

In article <57187@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lum@armadillo (Lum Johnson) writes:
>TECO, like LISP, represents code and data identically, so programs
>written in these languages may easily act upon, amoung other things,
>programs written in these languages, such as themselves.  In these
>languages it is reasonably common to find programs which may rewrite
>or elaborate parts of themselves, or at least are able to do so.
>Of the two, LISP is easily the more readable.  In fact, TECO (along
>with APL) has been described as a write-only language.

Bill Mann once described APL as "TECO on matrices".  I suppose this
makes Lisp "TECO on lists".

>Does anyone have a TECO emulator for GNU Elisp yet?

There is a TECO in C now; I think it was distributed in one of the
comp.sources.* newsgroups.  The Elisp version can't be too far off :-)

To complete the history, one should mention TV TECO, which was an
early attempt to make use of all those 24 lines on the tube (remember,
much of the world was still using teletypes in 1971).  It was as
though you were always typing raw TECO at the minibuff line, then at
the completion of a command it would show you 22 lines surrounding
point.  Point was shown with the two characters /\ .  A little dumb,
but it worked on a VT05.  I think there were 3 or 4 of these
half-way-from-TECO-to-EMACS attempts.

WYSIWYG with self-insertion and automatic redisplay came later with
EMACS.  I'm not saying it was the first to do this, but in the TECO
descendents I think it was.
--
/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (08/10/89)

In article <44052@bbn.COM> jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) writes:
>In article <57187@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lum@armadillo (Lum Johnson) writes:
>To complete the history, one should mention TV TECO, which was an
>early attempt to make use of all those 24 lines on the tube (remember,
>much of the world was still using teletypes in 1971).  It was as
>though you were always typing raw TECO at the minibuff line, then at
>the completion of a command it would show you 22 lines surrounding
>point.  Point was shown with the two characters /\ .  A little dumb,
>but it worked on a VT05.  I think there were 3 or 4 of these
>half-way-from-TECO-to-EMACS attempts.

I'm certain there were;  I've seen at least four of them myself, and
used at least three of them.  Some were collections of macros such as
QED and TVEDIT, and some were actually free-standing editors such as
VTECO, standardized by Digital as TV for TOPS-20.  There could easily
have been many more.  Emacs itself was one of about half-a-dozen
dispatch-vector-driven editors developed circa 1971-1972, and is known
to the world at large primarily because it absorbed the functionality
of all the others before one of them could successfully absorb it.
Emacs has been much like an amoeba from the very beginning.

Someone recently posted "The Law of Software Development and
Envelopment at MIT" to rec.humor.funny, which states that at MIT
all programs grow and develop until they can read mail.  With the
Babyl library, that actually came rather early in Emacs' case.

>WYSIWYG with self-insertion and automatic redisplay came later with
>EMACS.  I'm not saying it was the first to do this, but in the TECO
>descendents I think it was.

Actually, I think that visual redisplay may have just preceded Emacs,
having been done in VTECO (although it wasn't automatic - you still
needed to type ESC ESC to confirm and execute the command string),
though I'm no longer sure.  The self-insertion of printing characters
was a natural consequence of the dispatch vector support.

Lum
-=-
--

rgr@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.g.robillard) (08/10/89)

Lum Johnson <lum@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
> swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu (Steve Wooldridge) writes:
>>I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an

>Emacs == Editing MACros.

Can anyone out there give me the defintive relationship between the
name "Emacs" and the Boston Ice Cream parlour "Emac and Bolio's"?
I can't believe that it's a coincidence, particularly considering
the relationship between Steve's Ice Cream and the Lisp Flavours
system.
--
|  Duke Robillard                                                        |
|  Internet: rgr@m21ux.att.com         | BITNET: rgr%m21ux.uucp@psuvax1  |

In article <2525@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> rgr@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (robert.g.robillard) writes:
>Can anyone out there give me the defintive relationship between the
>name "Emacs" and the Boston Ice Cream parlour "Emac and Bolio's"?
>I can't believe that it's a coincidence, particularly considering
>the relationship between Steve's Ice Cream and the Lisp Flavours
>system.

Well, I don't know whether EMACS was named after the ice cream parlor
or not.  However, the name similarity WAS eventually noticed by the
folks at the MIT AI Lab.  The Lisp Machines developed there originally
included a text formatter called Bolio (the Lisp Machine text editor
is called Zmacs).  However, the Flavors object-oriented programming
system definitely WAS patterned after Steve's Ice Cream.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

idall@augean.OZ (Ian Dall) (08/11/89)

In article <57212@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Lum Johnson <lum@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <44052@bbn.COM> jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) writes:
>>In article <57187@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lum@armadillo (Lum Johnson) writes:
>
>>WYSIWYG with self-insertion and automatic redisplay came later with
>>EMACS.  I'm not saying it was the first to do this, but in the TECO
>>descendents I think it was.
>
>Actually, I think that visual redisplay may have just preceded Emacs,
>having been done in VTECO (although it wasn't automatic - you still
>needed to type ESC ESC to confirm and execute the command string),
>though I'm no longer sure.  The self-insertion of printing characters
>was a natural consequence of the dispatch vector support.

Well I am not certain of the dates but TECO definitely grew
sufficiently to allow WYSIWIG editing with the appropriate macros. In
fact I still have machine readable versions of VTEDIT.TEC which could
be arranged to be autoloaded with the right magic and definitely
allowed WYSIWIG editing with the ability to escape to execute extended
commands if required ( like ESC ESC in GNU emacs). VTEDIT.TEC was for
TECO-11 and I am not sure how the development of TECO-10 macros and
TECO-11 macros compared.

The VTEDIT.TEC is structured with "dispatch tables" which are rather like
keymaps (except much harder to change and not self documenting).

GNU EMACS shows some TECO heritage in its treatment of the buffer as a
collection of characters (as opposed to a collection of lines) and the
terms "point" and "dot" and the concept of registers. The default
bindings for the register commands "copy-to-register" (C-x x) and
"insert-register" (C-x g) are probably derived from the TECO "X" and
"G" commands which do essentially the same things.

GNU EMACS has made major advances over TECO and E-Lisp is a much better
programming language for general use than TECO command language, but I
still miss TECO when I want to do a once off complex editing function.
If it is too complicated for a keyboard macro but simple enough for me
to have a fair chance of getting it right first time, I would sooner
write a TECO macro than an E-lisp function definition.
--
 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.

dje@imokay.dec.com ( Secure Systems) (08/11/89)

Steve Wooldridge (swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu) asks:

> I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an
> acronym for something?

As far as I know, EMACS stands for "Editor MACroS".  The first incarnation
of EMACS was a set of TECO editor macros that ran on ITS (the Incompatible
Timesharing System) at MIT.

----
David Ellis
Digital Equipment Corporation -- BXB1-1/D03
85 Swanson Road, Boxboro MA 01719 -- (508) 264-5073
Usenet:   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!ultra.enet.dec.com!ellis
Internet: ellis@ultra.enet.dec.com

adrianb@queets.stat.washington.edu (Adrian Baddeley) (08/13/89)

In article <2525@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> robert.g.robillard writes:
>Can anyone out there give me the defintive relationship between the
>name "Emacs" and the Boston Ice Cream parlour "Emac and Bolio's"?

While we're at it, is it true that the Australian email gateway
`munnari' is named after a coffeeshop in Bourke Street, Melbourne?

So _that's_ where all these names come from...

----
adrianb@castor.ms.washington.edu	(until 21 august 1989)
Adrian Baddeley, visiting Department of Statistics GN-22,
University of Washington, Seattle WA 98195, USA.
	tel (U of W): +1 206 545-2617 / 543-7237

mg@cidam.rmit.oz (Mike A. Gigante) (08/23/89)

In article <2169@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, adrianb@queets.stat.washington.edu (Adrian Baddeley) writes:
> In article <2525@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> robert.g.robillard writes:
> While we're at it, is it true that the Australian email gateway
> `munnari' is named after a coffeeshop in Bourke Street, Melbourne?
> ----
> Adrian Baddeley, visiting Department of Statistics GN-22,

If I remember correctly, munnari is an aboriginal word for a stub-tailed
lizard in the goanna family. The name was (supposedly) chosen to bypass
the head-of-dept's dislike of the nominated hostname 'goanna'..

The name also started a tradition that all hostnames at (M)elbourne (U)niversity
start with 'mu' and are named after aboringinal words

jourdan@seti.inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) (08/25/89)

In article <491@imokay.dec.com> ellis@ultra.enet.dec.com (David Ellis - Secure Systems) writes:

> Steve Wooldridge (swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu) asks:
>
> > I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an
> > acronym for something?
>
> As far as I know, EMACS stands for "Editor MACroS".  [...]

I also encountered the much nicer recursive acronym: EMACS == "Emacs
Makes All Computing Simple[r]".  But I grant that this probably is not
the true origin...
--

Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
My employers have no opinion and they guarantee my freedom of expression.

mike@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Mike Haertel) (09/07/89)

In article <253@seti.inria.fr> jourdan@seti.UUCP (Martin Jourdan) writes:
>In article <491@imokay.dec.com> ellis@ultra.enet.dec.com (David Ellis - Secure Systems) writes:
>> Steve Wooldridge (swooldri@orion.cf.uci.edu) asks:
>> > I am trying to track down the orgin of the term "emacs." Is it an
>> > acronym for something?
>> As far as I know, EMACS stands for "Editor MACroS".  [...]
>I also encountered the much nicer recursive acronym: EMACS == "Emacs
>Makes All Computing Simple[r]".  But I grant that this probably is not
>the true origin...

Just to settle this once and for all.  (I suppose someone will ask
again next year . . .)  The first Emacs was really a macro library
for ITS TECO, a programmable editor.  TECO (if you must know, it
stands for Text Editor and COrector) is programmed in a true macro
language (incidentally, I refer to the ITS version and not the
more common but infinitely less capable version distributed, for
example, with VMS).  Emacs did stand for "Editor Macros."  Although
the recent editors of that name are programmable, they do not use
macro languages, so the name has lost any meaning it once had, and
is basically just a sort of trademark.

Incidentally, I have this all on "reasonably" good authority, as
I am employed by the Free Software Foundation, whose founder, Richard
Stallman, is the author of the original ITS Emacs as well as GNU Emacs.

(I've always thought that Emacs, if it stands for anything, stands
for "Eventually Munches All Computer Storage."  Certainly it does on
my machine, which has only a measly 2MB of RAM.)

You can order the original Emacs paper from the MIT AI lab if
you're interested in its early history.
--
Mike Haertel <mike@stolaf.edu>
``There's nothing remarkable about it.  All one has to do is hit the right

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (09/13/89)

In article <5503@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, mike@thor.acc.stolaf.edu
(Mike Haertel) writes:
[stuff deleted]
> (I've always thought that Emacs, if it stands for anything, stands
> for "Eventually Munches All Computer Storage."  Certainly it does on
> my machine, which has only a measly 2MB of RAM.)

How about
	Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping
or
	Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift ?

Is it time to replay all those definitions I saw on Usenet
a few years ago?

--
Rick Low
MEL Defence Systems Limited, Ottawa, Canada

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (09/13/89)

On 12 Sep 89 18:16:15 GMT, low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) said:

Rick> Is it time to replay all those definitions I saw on Usenet
Rick> a few years ago?

Please don't. GNU Emacs dist-18.xx/etc/emacs.names (where xx is any
number from somewhere around 26 through 55) has the entire list that
was posted previously. An ls of the file gives:

  -rw-rw-r--  1 emacs        6901 Mar  6  1986 emacs.names
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM