[comp.emacs] Emacs/X11 hangs

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (09/13/89)

I don't know if this is an Emacs problem, an X11 problem or a HP/UX problem:

I have GNU Emacs version 18.53 running on a HP9000/340 with HP/UX 6.5 on X11.
Regularly (i.e. at least once per day) emacs hangs while it is busy with
something that is not interactive, e.g. executing a synchronous shell
command (M-x shell-command). Emacs will then just not come back, it will
not even redraw the window if some other window has temporarily been drawn
over it. Today I tried to index a newsgroup that I had not read for ages
(using Gnews/nntp) and everytime it just hung after about half a minute.
It made me really tired.
The only way out is to destroy the window using the window manager (but
that does not get rid of the emacs process) or to kill Emacs from another
window. By the way, I had the same problem with HP/UX version 6.2.

Does anybody know what is causing this problem and what can be done about it?
--
Piet van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands

seligman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Scott Seligman) (09/14/89)

(Piet van Oostrum) writes:
>I don't know if this is an Emacs problem, an X11 problem or a HP/UX problem:
>
>I have GNU Emacs version 18.53 running on a HP9000/340 with HP/UX 6.5 on X11.
>Regularly (i.e. at least once per day) emacs hangs while it is busy with
>something that is not interactive, e.g. executing a synchronous shell
>command (M-x shell-command).

This sometimes happens to me, too.  (The magic numbers are
18.54, HP9000/350, HP-UX6.5, and X11.)  I have no idea what
causes it, but I've found I can unwedge emacs by sending
it a SIGALRM signal:  "kill -ALRM <pid>".  This probably
does something terrible to emacs's internal state, but so
far I haven't noticed any problems.

Scott