[comp.emacs] uEmacs 3.10 Problems.

umrigar@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Zerksis D. Umrigar) (09/19/89)

When running uEmacs 3.10 on a PC-AT under DOS 3.10, I have the
following problems:

1) pipe-command does not work.  There is some disk activity and
then it flashes what looks like a "file creation error" in the
message area and returns to the original buffer.  A subsequent
buffer-list does not show any new buffers like "command" or
"temp".  This used to work in uEmacs 3.81 into a buffer called
"temp".  (BTW, an attempt to grab the error-message using $lastmesg
failed --- all I got was an empty string.)

2) A succession of delete-next-word or delete-previous-word
commands does not successively add to the kill-buffer.  The
kill-buffer only records the last word killed.  This is in
contrast to the behavior of 3.10's kill-to-end-of-line command,
and is also different from the behavior of uEmacs 3.81 and GNU.

3) Some of the commands seem pretty casual about changing colors
and do not bother to restore them when returning.  For example,
descibe-bindings switches to the default colors, and I have to
explicitly switch back to the colors I like to use.

Currently to get around (1) I use shell-command with output
redirection, and try to ignore (2) and (3).  Any other suggestions?

QUESTION:  Does any one have a dired mode for uEmacs?

Zerksis D. Umrigar
Watson School, SUNY-Binghamton
Binghamton, NY 13901
(607) 777-4311

Internet: umrigar@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
Bitnet:   umrigar at bingvaxa

In an article posted earlier today I wrote:

>1) pipe-command does not work.  There is some disk activity and
>then it flashes what looks like a "file creation error" in the
>message area and returns to the original buffer.

Apparently I need to have the DOS environmental variable TMP
defined correctly.  Thanks to Cliff Joslyn
(cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu) for pointing me in the right
direction.

>2) A succession of delete-next-word or delete-previous-word
>commands does not successively add to the kill-buffer.  The
>kill-buffer only records the last word killed.  This is in
>contrast to the behavior of 3.10's kill-to-end-of-line command,
>and is also different from the behavior of uEmacs 3.81 and GNU.

I still have this problem.

>3) Some of the commands seem pretty casual about changing colors
>and do not bother to restore them when returning.

I figured this out myself.  I did not have the add-global-mode
command at the correct place in emacs.rc.