[comp.emacs] Two VM Questions

robe@bcarh54.bnr.ca (Rob Enns) (09/22/89)

Hi, I've just started using the VM mail reader, version 4.11, and I
have a couple of questions about it:

1) I've had trouble getting VM's auto-folder feature to work as
   advertised.  Being a elisp novice, I haven't been able to decode the
   format for the variable vm-auto-folder-alist, which is supposed to be:

     > ((HEADER-NAME
     >    (REGEXP . FOLDER-NAME) ...
     >   ...))
     > where HEADER-NAME, REGEXP, and FOLDER-NAME are all strings.

   Could someone please post an example of how to do this properly?

2) Is there a more recent version of VM available?  If it's in the
   elisp archive, could someone please post the internet address of
   the archive?  I seem to have lost it.

Thanks in advance,
Rob.
Rob Enns, Bell Northern Research, Ottawa, Ontario
    UUCP: ...utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!wilde!robe             NetNorth: robe@BNR.CA
Internet: robe%wilde%bnr-fos%bnr-vpa@watmath.waterloo.edu

ccs015@ursula.ucdavis.edu (Kambiz Aghaiepour) (09/22/89)

In article <1460@bnr-fos.UUCP> robe@bcarh54.bnr.ca (Rob Enns) writes:
>1) I've had trouble getting VM's auto-folder feature to work as
>   advertised.  [...]
.
:
>   Could someone please post an example of how to do this properly?

Here is what my vm-auto-folder-alist is set to :

(setq vm-auto-folder-alist
      '(
        ("To" ("babble"."babble"))
        ("From" ("itkin"."itkin") ("jon"."jon") ("tigger"."tigger")
        ("gary"."gary") ("ali"."ali") ("kayvan"."kayvan") ("cche"."hugh"))
        ("Subject" ("Returned"."returned"))
        ))

Thanks you Kayvan Sylvan for your help.  You've made learning emacs a
lot easier and much more pleasant.  (Gee don't you just love brotherly
love and mushy-corny talk?)

Kambiz Aghaiepour @ UC Davis, Computing Services -*- Davis, CA (916) 752-3994
Internet: ccs015@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu UUCP: ...!bullwinkle!ccs015.  -=*%*=-

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (09/27/89)

In article <1460@bnr-fos.UUCP> robe@bcarh54.bnr.ca (Rob Enns) writes:
   Hi, I've just started using the VM mail reader, version 4.11, and I
   have a couple of questions about it:

You may consider joining the Info-VM mailing list.  Requests for
addition should be addressed to <info-vm-request@cs.odu.edu>.
Submissions to <info-vm@cs.odu.edu>.

   1) I've had trouble getting VM's auto-folder feature to work as
      advertised.  Being a elisp novice, I haven't been able to decode the
      format for the variable vm-auto-folder-alist, which is supposed to be:
      Could someone please post an example of how to do this properly?

I'm sure we'll see plenty of people's vm-auto-folder-alist's.  Here's mine:
(this is part of a very big setq...)

      vm-auto-folder-alist '(
			     ("To" ("root" . "root"))
			     ("Cc"
			      ("root" . "root")
			      ("system" . "root"))
			     ("Subject"
			      ("archived" . "archive")
			      ("wild files$"	. "adm")
			      ("^setuid/setgid"	. "adm")
			      ("accounting$"	. "adm")
			      ("^UUCP Summary$"	. "adm")
			      ("^mail stats$"	. "adm")
			      ("^mcp check$"	. "adm")
			      ("backups log$"	. "adm")
			      ("^News Errlog$"	. "adm")
			      ("^UUCP map for"	. "maps")
			      ("^restore req"	. "root")))

Yes, I know I can coalesce those "adm" entries with better regexp's,
but I'm lazy...

   2) Is there a more recent version of VM available?  If it's in the
      elisp archive, could someone please post the internet address of
      the archive?  I seem to have lost it.

It's currently VM-4.41, available via anonymous ftp from
xanth.cs.odu.edu and cfdl.larc.nasa.gov, along with all the patches to
get you to that release if you have an earlier version.  If you're
really running VM-4.11, you're VERY out of date...

	...tad