[comp.emacs] Mapping ctl-x-map

xg00@GTE.COM (Xev Gittler) (10/13/89)

Is there a way to make a different key work as a C-X? A terminal
emulation package I'm using seems to lose C-X.
Thanks.

--
					Xev Gittler
					xg00@gte.com, or

jr@BBN.COM (John Robinson) (10/13/89)

Xav Gittler wrote:

> Is there a way to make a different key work as a C-X? A terminal
> emulation package I'm using seems to lose C-X.

The following two lines will bind C-^ so that it behaves like C-X.
The first is probably unnecessary, unless you used this by-default
unused control-key for something.

  (global-unset-key "\C-^")
  (global-set-key "\C-^" ctl-x-map)

Although global-set-key doesn't appear to allow keymaps as arguments,
in fact it does as it simply calls (define-key) using global-map and
its arguments, so the documentation of (define-key) tells the real
story.

/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis