[comp.emacs] Emacs user-interface problem. uEmacs 3.10.

I'm sure there's a standard answer to this, but what is the canonical
binding for search and quote when ^S and ^Q are co-opted by software
handshaking? I do so much wnat to remain slightly compatible... I've
been turned off on Emacs before when I found that no two seemed to have
the same set of commands... this seems to have gotten better, so I'm sure
there's a standard alternate.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (10/10/89)

In article <6474@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I'm sure there's a standard answer to this, but what is the canonical
>binding for search and quote when ^S and ^Q are co-opted by software
>handshaking?

Well, in the past I have used Prime Emacs, in which that problem was
addressed in a couple of different ways, depending on the user's preference.
One of them was to allow the editor to turn off xon/xoff flow control
while it was executing, so that ^s and ^q could be used for searching, etc.
The other way was to provide built-in alternate bindings for those two keys.
The alternate bindings for ^S were ^X-S and ESC-S.

In MicroEmacs it should not be difficult to provide such an alternate binding
inyour emacs.rc file. I believe that neither of those sequences is already
bound by default.

Fred

chuckb@hounix.UUCP (Chuck Bentley) (10/12/89)

Just disable ^S ^Q, and use ^L to repaint the screen when necessary.
Let face it, you can tell if your screen is getting messed up and manually
fix it.
		Chuck...

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (10/12/89)

> I'm sure there's a standard answer to this, but what is the canonical
> binding for search and quote when ^S and ^Q are co-opted by software
> handshaking?
> --
> Peter da Silva

There was a lot of discussion of this a couple of years ago.  I don't
know that a consensus was reached.  But as I recall the most popular
solution was
	^\	for quote
	^]	for search
Since I was already using ^^ for quote, I have not changed.  But that
need not concern you.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (10/12/89)

In article <7759@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>In article <6474@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>I'm sure there's a standard answer to this, but what is the canonical
>>binding for search and quote when ^S and ^Q are co-opted by software
>>handshaking?
>
>Well, in the past I have used Prime Emacs, in which that problem was
>The other way was to provide built-in alternate bindings for those two keys.
>The alternate bindings for ^S were ^X-S and ESC-S.
>
>In MicroEmacs it should not be difficult to provide such an alternate binding
>inyour emacs.rc file. I believe that neither of those sequences is already

I am still running 3.9e.  The only standard bindings are ^Q, ^S, ^X^S
and M-^S.  ^Q is bound to quote-character and M-^S is bound to
change-screen-size.  I just unbound them since I don't use them much.
I rebound ^S and ^X^S as follows:

	^S   => M-/	search-forward (for some similarity to vi)
			^R => M-? search-reverse for the same reason
	^X^S => M-S	save-file

I have been operating this way since 3.7 with no problems at all.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (10/12/89)

In article <7759@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:

    In article <6474@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
    >I'm sure there's a standard answer to this, but what is the canonical
    >binding for search and quote when ^S and ^Q are co-opted by software
    >handshaking?

    The other way was to provide built-in alternate bindings for those two keys.
    The alternate bindings for ^S were ^X-S and ESC-S.

Well, the alternative that I use on all emacses and I have seen as usual in
most people's emacses is to have ^S mapped to ^\, and ^Q to ^^; there are
no traditonally emacsy commands bound to ^\ and ^^, and they have good
mnemonic value (^\ reminds me of slash-searching, and ^^ of the starting
character for control character representation).

Under GNU Emacs, instead of blithely binding search and quote to ^\ and ^^,
you are better off with something like:

 	(setq keyboard-translate-table
		"^I^J
	(set-input-mode nil t)

that exchanges ^\ with ^S and ^^ with ^Q, at the input routine level,
and enables ^S and ^Q for flow control.

As RMS says, it would be better if anybody had out-of-band flow control, not
one encoded in the data stream. There ought to be a law... :-> :-> (I think
that it would be easier to convert Apple to free software than to have
universal out-of-band flow control).
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

In article <640010@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM>, charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:

|  Since I was already using ^^ for quote, I have not changed.  But that
|  need not concern you.

  True. I don't think there is an "accepted" alternate, although the
one's you mentioned are popular. I have search on a function key and use
M-" for quote because I can remember it and I don't use it that often.
that the world is flat!" - anon

jr@BBN.COM (John Robinson) (10/13/89)

In article <1143@aber-cs.UUCP>, Piercarlo Grandi <pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk> writes:
> Under GNU Emacs, instead of blithely binding search and quote to ^\ and ^^,
> you are better off with something like:
>

>  	(setq keyboard-translate-table
> 		"^H^I^J^K
> 	(set-input-mode nil t)

... at least that is how it looked when it got here (I have
decontrol-ified the ramains of the string).  The file $EMACS/PROBLEMS
in the gnu distribution has a working version.

In the interest of promoting similarity across emacses, I hope the
micro flavors can settle on this convention (that is, ^\ for ^S and ^^
for ^Q).  If these are hard to type on your terminal, sometimes they
can (or must) be typed in other ways.  The VT100 (DEC's, at least) got
some of these oddball control characters in strange places.

Note that keyboard-translating is (I expect) not available in the
micro emacses, though I expect it would be straightforward to wire a
translation into the source if you were so inclined.  Otherwise, the
rebinding route will work.
--
/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis

In article <640010@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:
> 	^\	for quote

	I already decided on this one independently.

> 	^]	for search

	I'd rather search was in a standard place on the keyboard. I've
	about decided on meta-s or meta-/. I'd probably make another
	decision if I didn't have meta keys.
--

In article <18901.624289107@bbn.com> UNIX-EMACS@VM.TCS.Tulane.EDU writes:
> In the interest of promoting similarity across emacses, I hope the
> micro flavors can settle on this convention (that is, ^\ for ^S and ^^
> for ^Q).

^\ is unacceptable for search because (as you point out) it's too hard
to find on some terminals.  It's a good mnemonic for quote.

^^ is the HOME key on adm3a-derived terminals, so makes a poor choice for
anything.
--

In article <3518@hounix.UUCP> chuckb@hounix.UUCP (Chuck Bentley) writes:
> Just disable ^S ^Q, and use ^L to repaint the screen when necessary.

This is not a workable solution. Many times you can not disable ^S and ^Q at
the terminal end.