18.52.  If you've already got the new source undo the following patch.

From: kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul)

*** emacs.c     Thu Mar  2 23:09:05 1989
--- emacs.c.53  Thu Mar  2 23:08:28 1989
***************
*** 224,229
    setuid (getuid ());
  #endif HIGHPRI

    inhibit_window_system = 0;

  #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS

--- 224,234 -----
    setuid (getuid ());
  #endif HIGHPRI

+ #ifdef BSD
+   /* interrupt_input has trouble if we aren't in a separate process group.  */
+   setpgrp (getpid (), getpid ());
+ #endif
+
    inhibit_window_system = 0;

  #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS

gnulists@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (03/28/89)

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 84 05:50:50 EST
From: MAILER-DAEMON@eddie.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 1
To: <info-gnu-emacs-request@prep.ai.mit.edu>

resolve 'eeg!doug' = 'ames!lll-winken!eeg!doug' @ 'll-xn' (UUCP)
resolve 'noao!asuvax!nud!rcb' = 'ncar!noao!asuvax!nud!rcb' @ 'gatech' (UUCP)
inews: Cannot get user's name
554 "|/usr/local/lib/news/nrecnews -n comp.emacs -x mirror"... unknown mailer error 1

Date: 22 Mar 89 17:49:25 GMT
From: dph@lanl.gov  (David Huelsbeck)
Subject: Thanks! (was: GNU Emacs hands under BSD 4.3 (help))
Sender: info-gnu-emacs-request@prep.ai.mit.edu
To: info-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I've installed the patch and it's
now working.  In fact, I'm using it under vn to send this follow up.

For those that may be having the same problem use the old emacs.c from
18.52.  If you've already got the new source undo the following patch.

From: kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul)

*** emacs.c     Thu Mar  2 23:09:05 1989
--- emacs.c.53  Thu Mar  2 23:08:28 1989
***************
*** 224,229
    setuid (getuid ());
  #endif HIGHPRI

    inhibit_window_system = 0;

  #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS

--- 224,234 -----
    setuid (getuid ());
  #endif HIGHPRI

+ #ifdef BSD
+   /* interrupt_input has trouble if we aren't in a separate process group.  */
+   setpgrp (getpid (), getpid ());
+ #endif
+
    inhibit_window_system = 0;

  #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS

dwp@mtune.ATT.COM (David Preisler) (10/25/89)

Thanks to all the people who responded to my request for help when
I was unable to locate header files required for building GNU Emacs
on a sVr3 system.

Found a general do-it-yourself-leave-the-local-unix-wizard-alone solution
for missing header files:

    1. comment out the missing header file in source.
    2. compile the code.
    3. examine the lines of source where errors occured.
    4. grep through all header files looking for declaration of undefined
       structures, fields, or variables.
    5. change header file in source according to findings in step 4.

The above steps worked well in finding missing header files for GNU Emacs,
and I would imagine it would work well generally.

Any Comments?

Thanks,

David William Preisler
  System Administrator

AT&T Bell Laboratories     Email:  att!mtune!dwp
     200 Laurel Avenue
Middletown,  NJ  07748     Phone: (201) 957-2594