[comp.emacs] Help! Gnuemacs 18.55 not working with X11

philf@xymox.metaphor.com (Phil Fernandez) (10/26/89)

I am trying to use gnuemacs with X11, but am having troubles making it
work correctly as an X application.

I am compiling with the HAVEd_X_WINDOWS, X11, and HAVE_X_MENU options
set in config.h.  The resulting emacs binary runs and works fine in
general.  Under X, it creates a window properly.  However, I have
several problems:

  Emacs under X fails to recognize mouse events.  Mouse events just
  cause a beep.  No cursor positioning, no menus, etc.

  The "-i" option -- use bitmap icon -- works if specified, but
  doesn't get processed correctly on the command line.  When I
  start emacs with the -i option, I get the message "Wrong type
  argument:  stringp,nil".  It seems to not realize that the -i is an
  X-specific argument.

Can anyone give me a clue about what's going wrong?  I'm running
gnuemacs 18.55 (had same problems with 18.53), compiled and installed
on a Sun 3/50 running 3.5 (same problems on 3/80 running 4.0.3).  The
Suns are running X11.3 from the MIT distribution.  Otherwise, the X
environment works fine.

Please mail responses directly to me.

phil

+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Phil Fernandez              |             philf@metaphor.com               |
|                             |     ...!{apple|decwrl}!metaphor!philf        |
| Metaphor Computer Systems   |"Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind|
| Mountain View, CA           | rule the body?  I dunno..." - Morrissey      |
+-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------+

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (10/26/89)

In article <857@metaphor.Metaphor.COM> philf@xymox.metaphor.com (Phil Fernandez) writes:
>I am compiling with the HAVEd_X_WINDOWS, X11, and HAVE_X_MENU options
>set in config.h.  The resulting emacs binary runs and works fine in
>general.  Under X, it creates a window properly.  However, I have
>several problems:
>
>  Emacs under X fails to recognize mouse events.  Mouse events just
>  cause a beep.  No cursor positioning, no menus, etc.
>
>  The "-i" option -- use bitmap icon -- works if specified, but
>  doesn't get processed correctly on the command line.  When I
>  start emacs with the -i option, I get the message "Wrong type
>  argument:  stringp,nil".  It seems to not realize that the -i is an
>  X-specific argument.

We've had almost exactly the same problems getting emacs to work with
X on our Pyramids.  It works fine on our Sun 4's, but I don't know
whether that's because we're running an older version on the Suns.

>Please mail responses directly to me.

Could you post instead (or CC: me in your response)?  Thanks.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."