[comp.emacs] Gnu + other emacs

sf1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) (10/26/89)

Is there any way to sort out the GNU and other emacs articles?
I'm fed up of wading through lots of GNU articles all the time.

Isn't there a gnu-emacs newsgroup? I thought there was.

Fruitbat.
----------------------------- Sent to you by ----------------------------
sf1%rosemary@onioncs.reading.ac.uk       | WHERE IS ALT.FRUITBAT!!!!!!!!!
foster%dec.jumbly@com.dec.decwrl@rl.earn | Is a homomorphism a gay lump
jumbly::foster, pobble::foster           | of plasticine?

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (10/27/89)

sf1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) writes:
>Is there any way to sort out the GNU and other emacs articles?
>I'm fed up of wading through lots of GNU articles all the time.
>
>Isn't there a gnu-emacs newsgroup? I thought there was.

Indeed.  I have just the opposite problem.  I'm only interested in GNU
articles here.  My KILL file gets most of the irrelevant ones:

  /uEmacs/:j
  /microEMACS/:j
  /jove/:j

Although, every now and then some joker finds a new way to spell uEmacs.

If your newsreader supports KILL files (as rn does), the following
should kill the majority of the GNU articles:

  /GNU/a:j

I would support an effort to keep all the GNU discussion in gnu.emacs.*
since reading both groups is sort of a drag.  What's gnu.all's
distribution like these days?  And more importantly, will The Man mind
non-devotees using GNU's newsgroups?

Alternatively, we could try to create comp.emacs.gnu.  In a way this
seems more fair, since the GNU content of the current comp.emacs and
gnu.emacs are somewhat different.

Any other ideas?  Maybe we could kick these around here for a few days
and then see what news.groups has to say...er, I mean shout. :-)

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();        "Being confused is like being
Mesard@BBN.COM                    depressed, but you get to listen

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/27/89)

sf1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) writes:
>Is there any way to sort out the GNU and other emacs articles?

As Wayne says, use kill files.

>I'm fed up of wading through lots of GNU articles all the time.

Wading?  comp.emacs barely sees enough traffic to get the tops of your
feet wet.

>Isn't there a gnu-emacs newsgroup? I thought there was.

There is.  gnu.emacs.  It is not, however, as widely distributed as
comp.emacs.  It is also directly gated with the info-gnu-emacs mailing
list, which is the newsgroup's legitimate parent, and RMS can get
rather bothered by discussion which would be quite acceptable in
comp.emacs.

In <47391@bbn.COM> mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) writes:
Wayne> I would support an effort to keep all the GNU discussion in
Wayne> gnu.emacs.* since reading both groups is sort of a drag.
Wayne> What's gnu.all's distribution like these days?

Pretty good, overall. gnu.emacs is one of the most widely distributed
gnu.* groups.

Wayne> And more importantly, will The Man mind non-devotees using
Wayne> GNU's newsgroups?

Probably.

Wayne> Alternatively, we could try to create comp.emacs.gnu.  In a way this
Wayne> seems more fair, since the GNU content of the current comp.emacs and
Wayne> gnu.emacs are somewhat different.

Traffic simply doesn't justify a split.  Discussion in news.groups
would shoot this bird down in a second.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (10/27/89)

In article <47391@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>Indeed.  I have just the opposite problem.  I'm only interested in GNU
>articles here.  My KILL file gets most of the irrelevant ones:
>  /uEmacs/:j
>  /microEMACS/:j
>  /jove/:j
>Although, every now and then some joker finds a new way to spell uEmacs.

Um, won't /uEmacs/:j also hit "GnuEmacs" ?

-wolfgang
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (703) 768-2640	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang

sf1@clove.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) (10/28/89)

In a recent posting mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) said:
|sf1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) writes:
|>Is there any way to sort out the GNU and other emacs articles?
|>I'm fed up of wading through lots of GNU articles all the time.
|>
|>Isn't there a gnu-emacs newsgroup? I thought there was.
|
|Indeed.  I have just the opposite problem.  I'm only interested in GNU
|articles here.  My KILL file gets most of the irrelevant ones:
|
|  /uEmacs/:j
|  /microEMACS/:j
|  /jove/:j

You try reading news at 300 baud sometime and see how soul destroying
waiting twenty minutes for your kill file to execute is!

|Although, every now and then some joker finds a new way to spell uEmacs.

What do you want - greek letters over the net? :-)

|Alternatively, we could try to create comp.emacs.gnu.  In a way this
|seems more fair, since the GNU content of the current comp.emacs and
|gnu.emacs are somewhat different.

Sounds a bit like creating a new newsgroup for each conversation to me -
its bad enough sorting out rn as it is, without trying to work out even
more permutations...

I seem to remember as well that a lot of articles are cross-posted - grrr.

|Any other ideas?  Maybe we could kick these around here for a few days
|and then see what news.groups has to say...er, I mean shout. :-)

I am not subscribing to *that*! I have little enough time as it is!

Do we have the traffic to justify a new newsgroup? Probably not, I don't
think.

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (10/30/89)

Wayne Mesard writes:
 > I would support an effort to keep all the GNU discussion in gnu.emacs.*
 > since reading both groups is sort of a drag.  What's gnu.all's
 > distribution like these days?  And more importantly, will The Man mind
 > non-devotees using GNU's newsgroups?

That last sentence is the rub.  The kind of discussion and questions we see
in comp.emacs wouldn't be appropriate to gnu.emacs or gnu.emacs.bug.  Also
the GNU lists are proprietary, which means they are subject to FSF
administrative fiats and political advocacy.  Not that these things have
been bad so far, but it's nice to have an apolitical forum.

 > Alternatively, we could try to create comp.emacs.gnu.  In a way this
 > seems more fair, since the GNU content of the current comp.emacs and
 > gnu.emacs are somewhat different.

Actually, comp.emacs should be under the comp.editors tree, say,
comp.editors.emacs.

In any event, there isn't enough traffic in this group to justify splitting
it, at least not to the denizens of news.group.