[comp.emacs] Opinion poll -- Is there too much GNU in comp.emacs

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (10/29/89)

In a recent posting mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) said:
|sf1@rosemary.cs.reading.ac.uk (Fruitbat) writes:
|>Is there any way to sort out the GNU and other emacs articles?
|>I'm fed up of wading through lots of GNU articles all the time.
|>
|>Isn't there a gnu-emacs newsgroup? I thought there was.
|
|Indeed.  I have just the opposite problem.  I'm only interested in GNU
|articles here.  My KILL file gets most of the irrelevant ones:
|
|  /uEmacs/:j
|  /microEMACS/:j
|  /jove/:j

O.K.   We've heard several sides.  I personally care about only GNU emacs,
and I don't mind cross posting with the GNU hierarchy because I remember
what it was like before our site received it.  If you don't like the way
things are, then here's your chance to do something about it.

I am conducting an opinion poll that will last until midnight November
11.

1)  Are you interested in splitting up comp.emacs?  (Yes/No)
	If yes, include how you would split it up *and* what group names
	there should be.
2)  What do you read out of comp.emacs (ie.  what emacs are you interested
	in?)
	For example, I read all the jove and GNU emacs articles but could
	care less about the rest.

If there is sufficient interest, then we take this discussion to news.groups
and do something about it.

--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

mike@system.Cambridge.NCR.COM (mike) (10/30/89)

In article <117@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>O.K.   We've heard several sides.  I personally care about only GNU emacs,
>and I don't mind cross posting with the GNU hierarchy because I remember
>what it was like before our site received it.  If you don't like the way
>things are, then here's your chance to do something about it.
>
>I am conducting an opinion poll that will last until midnight November
>11.
>
>1)  Are you interested in splitting up comp.emacs?  (Yes/No)
>	If yes, include how you would split it up *and* what group names
>	there should be.

no ! No !! NO !!!  Please Don't split this stuff up. I used to read all of
the emacs groups but it was too much !!!  I use mg, GNUemacs, and microemacs
on several different machines at various times.  This group covers enough
of everything so that I can keep informed.

On a related note, my mg is rather old ... can someone send me the latest.
I have mg2a and today IN THIS GROUP saw someone metion mg3a.

thanks

mike

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (10/31/89)

mike@system.Cambridge.NCR.COM () writes:
>no ! No !! NO !!!  Please Don't split this stuff up. I used to read all of
>the emacs groups but it was too much !!!  I use mg, GNUemacs, and microemacs
>on several different machines at various times.  This group covers enough
>of everything so that I can keep informed.

Presumably, splitting off a GNU group wouldn't increase the traffic; it
would merely organize it better.  So whassaproblem?

Someone else mentioned that comp.editors would be a better place for
these groups, anyway.  As we all know GNU Emacs is much more than an
editor :-), but for the sake of clarity, I support this idea.

Wayne();

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();        "Being confused is like being
Mesard@BBN.COM                    depressed, but you get to listen

bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) (10/31/89)

All right.  I use GNUemacs, have an interest in uemacs, and only
occasionally see something else that interests me.  But its easy
enough for me to pick out what I want from the headers.  I see no
reason to split the group.

--
--mike bergman
	      Massachusetts Microelectronics Center