[comp.emacs] alt.macgnu

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (10/31/89)

In article <1150@mipos3.intel.com> woodstock@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) writes:
>In article <87@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, stan@toaster (Stan Osborne) writes:
>>Would people porting gnu software to Mac's please identify themselves
>>to all of us who have lots of Mac's.  We desperately want to run the
>>same editor, compiler's, bison's, etc's. on all of our computer systems.
>>
>>Please email me any info you might have.  I will sumarize and post

Point 1:
	IF GNU.MISC.DISCUSS IS THE ONLY GNU.* GROUP WHERE DISAGREEMENT
	WITH FSF POLITICS IS ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED, BY GOLLY I'LL DISCUSS
	MY DISAGREEMENT WITH FSF POLITICS HERE!

	Please *don't* restrict your followups to non-gnu groups like
	comp.emacs.  (Of course, please *do* restrict your followups to
	groups appropriate to your content.)

Point 2:
	Of course, here in gnu.misc.discuss, the viewpoint that one does
not *have* to agree with GNU politics to like GNU software, even though
one *supports* GNU politics by supporting GNU software, is expressed
regularly and often as a "rebuttal" to people who complain about GNU's
politics.  Here we have an opportunity to see how rms's own ideals can
fight his own political program!  (My opinion of rms's morals is actually
high--I just don't agree with him.  I don't expect what I mention below
to actually happen...)

	Why don't we create an alt.macgnu (or some variant) newsgroup
specifically for discussion of and work on mac ports of GNU software?
The thrust of the GPL is certainly against any attempts to prevent porting
GNU software to the Mac--or is FSF going to "hoard" their source-code from
us?

	Of course, FSF is free to make efforts with every release to break
the fixes/patches that made the previous release work on Macs, but isn't
the claimed purpose of FSF to make programmers more productive?  Spending
time finding ways to break patches doesn't sound like productivity to me...

Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Daisy/Cadnetix Inc. (DAZIX)	{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
5775 Flatirons Pkwy.            GEnie P.MEYER
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x277

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/31/89)

I would like to see FSF software running on mac... but under MacMach, not
the Mac OS.

Hopefully, MacMach will help break down the wall between the system software
and the programmer that Apple has forced on all of us ("we will tell you
what you NEED to know and no more").

onward,
b.bum
wb1j+@andrwe.cmu.edu

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (11/01/89)

In article <cZHJz8i00VcI83NDhu@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu
(William M. Bumgarner) writes:
> I would like to see FSF software running on mac... but under MacMach, not
> the Mac OS.

I wouldn't worry too much about this; no FSF software that I know of runs
under the Mac OS, as (thank God) the Mac OS isn't a UNIX variant.  Most of
it DOES run under MPW, though, since MPW deliberately resembles UNIX.

(William M. Bumgarner) writes:
> Hopefully, MacMach will help break down the wall between the system
software
> and the programmer that Apple has forced on all of us ("we will tell you
> what you NEED to know and no more").

MacMach can't help but bring the programmer closer to the system software;
it's just UNIX, after all (albeit a much nicer UNIX architecture than
most).

And the reality of the situation is that Apple doesn't enforce a wall
between the system software and the programmer; we attempt to provide an
understanding that there are a wide variety of things that, while they may
work with our CURRENT hardware and system software, are by no means
guaranteed to continue to do so, and therefore we a) discourage their use
in situations where the developer already knows how to do these evil
things, and b) don't tell developers who DON'T know how to do these evil
thngs how to do them.

Most of us in MacDTS at least make an attempt to explain why you shouldn't
do certain things, like tail-patching traps.  If we're guilty of anything,
perhaps it's of assuming that when we say "don't do this," the developer
will understand why s/he shouldn't by osmosis or something.

On the other hand, oftentimes our jobs would be much easier if some people
would read Inside Macintosh and the Tech Notes before undertaking
something that we've either already explained how to do, or explained why
doing it is a bad idea.

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that they
believe what I believe or vice-versa.
C++ -- The language in which only friends can access your private members.

think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) (11/01/89)

> I would like to see FSF software running on mac... but under MacMach, not
> the Mac OS.
>
> Hopefully, MacMach will help break down the wall between the system
> software and the programmer that Apple has forced on all of us
> ("we will tell you  what you NEED to know and no more").

 What is MacMach ? Could you tell us details of it?
   thanks.   s j moon

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (11/02/89)

In article <20338@ut-emx.UUCP> think@ut-emx.UUCP (s j moon) writes:

> > I would like to see FSF software running on mac... but under MacMach,
not
> > the Mac OS.
> >
> > Hopefully, MacMach will help break down the wall between the system
> > software and the programmer that Apple has forced on all of us
> > ("we will tell you  what you NEED to know and no more").
> >

>  What is MacMach ? Could you tell us details of it?
>    thanks.   s j moon

Sure.  What's loosely known as "MacMach" is Carnegie-Mellon University's
port of their Mach OS kernel (and presumably the rest of the OS) to the
Macintosh II family of computers.  Mach is a very tight UNIX kernel which,
with the appropriate layers above it, can (and generally does) maintain OS
service-level compatibility with 4.3 BSD UNIX, but it has several other
nifty features as well, such as lightweight processes, more
general/powerful IPC, and the like.  More information can be had by
reading comp.os.mach.

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (11/02/89)

In article <4996@internal.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:
 ...What's loosely known as "MacMach" is Carnegie-Mellon University's
 port of their Mach OS kernel ...
 ...More information can be had by reading comp.os.mach.

Sure, if you have time to keep up with the lively stream of 1-2 posts
per week ... :-)
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 4116 Brewster Drive
 v v s   s || jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Internet)   || Raleigh, NC  27606
  v   sss  || SP Software/CAD Tool Developer, Mac Hacker and Keyboardist
-----------|| Disclaimer: NCSU may not share my views, but is welcome to.