[comp.emacs] UEmacs 3.10

brian@amc-gw.UUCP (Brian Crowley ) (10/13/89)

This question was asked a couple of weeks ago, but I never saw any
answer:

	Where can I get a copy of uEmacs 3.10??

Email me, and I will post a summary.

|Brian Crowley              |          DNS: brian@amc.com                 |
|Applied Microsystems Corp. |         UUCP: uunet!amc-gw!brian            |
|Redmond, WA                |          ATT: 206-882-2000  Ext. 328        |

grimesg@makalu (George Grimes) (10/16/89)

In article <968@amc-gw.UUCP> brian@amc-gw.UUCP (Brian Crowley ) writes:

>This question was asked a couple of weeks ago, but I never saw any
>answer:
>
>	Where can I get a copy of uEmacs 3.10??
>
>Email me, and I will post a summary.

I hope that you have better luck than I did.  After 4 posting to an ever
increasing list of groups, the only response I got was a flame for posting
in the wrong group.  If you do find a source, please let me know.

George

DOMAIN: grimesg@sj.ate.slb.com           | George Grimes
UUCP:   {decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!grimesg    | Schlumberger Technologies
INTERNET: grimesg%sjs@sdr.slb.com        | 1601 Technology Drive
PHONE:  (408)437-5305                    | San Jose, Ca. 95110

brian@amc-gw.UUCP (Brian Crowley ) (10/17/89)

Last week, I posted a message asking for directions to uEmacs version
3.10.  I have received several responses which are summarized (as
promised) below:

Ruediger Oberhage
<uw-beaver!UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU!DD0RUD81.BITNET!OBERHAG> writes:

you requested to know, where uEmacs v.3.10 can be fetched from.
One answer to this is: at SIMTEL20 (IBM-PC archive) in the
<MSDOS.UEMACS> subdirectory.

The BITNET request would go to the LISTERV@NDSUVM1 and should be:

/PDGET PD:<MSDOS.UEMACS>filename.ARC (UUE

where filename should be replaced by what you want to get (e.g.
UEM310C).

To get information about the directory, simply type

/PDGET PD:<MSDOS.UEMACS> 999

Marko Puumalainen <uunet!puukko.hut.fi!s32908a> writes:

In Finland the source code of uE3.10 is available by anonymous ftp in
vega.hut.fi
in the directory
/pub/pc/editors/uemacs

The sources are for PC:s and also in kolvi.hut.fi.
The files are compressed by PKARC, so they must be handled as binary
files.

Jeff Racine <uunet!nexus.yorku.ca!racine> writes:

Hi. You can get emacs via anonymous ftp through SIMTEL20. The ftp site
is 26.2.0.74.  You will find MicroEMACS v3.10 in the directory
PD1:<MSDOS.MEMACS>. Good luck.

uunet!rhi.hi.is!einari (Einar Indridason) writes:

If you have SIMTEL access, get pd1:<msdos.ue310>*.*

My thanks to all who responded.  I now have a copy from SIMTEL.

|Brian Crowley              |          DNS: brian@amc.com                 |
|Applied Microsystems Corp. |         UUCP: uunet!amc-gw!brian            |
|Redmond, WA                |          ATT: 206-882-2000  Ext. 328        |

grimesg@SJ.ATE.SLB.COM (George Grimes) (10/17/89)

Thanks for the response!
George

djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) (11/09/89)

In article <440@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> krupczak@secola.UUCP (Bobby Krupczak) writes:
>I am using Micro Emacs 3.10.  I have noticed that 3.10 seems to ignore
>current file permissions and use my umask setting by default.  Also
>when editing files owned by other users, the owner gets changed to
>me?  Has anyone encountered similiar problems, and if so, is there
>a fix for 3.10 that I dont have?

This is called "safe save mode", which means uemacs saves a copy of the
file, then renames it to the original name.  It's turned on by default,
which is bad in Unix for the reasons Bobby describes.  To turn it off,
put

set $ssave FALSE

in your ~/.emacsrc file.  If you are able to recompile uemacs, I
suggest you get the unofficial Unix patches to it from a comp.sources.misc
archive, which make $ssave FALSE by default and also add some useful
features like tilde completion and much faster filename completion.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@wam.umd.edu>

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/10/89)

In article <440@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> krupczak@secola.UUCP (Bobby Krupczak) writes:
>Hi!
>
>I am using Micro Emacs 3.10.  I have noticed that 3.10 seems to ignore
>current file permissions and use my umask setting by default.  Also
>when editing files owned by other users, the owner gets changed to
>me?  Has anyone encountered similiar problems, and if so, is there
>a fix for 3.10 that I dont have?
>
>bobby

	Not so much a bug, as a feature......  actually it implements a new
saving algorithm which writes out a temp file, deletes the original, and
then renames the temp file.  This prevents system crashes from
destroying the file.  This behavior is controled by the $ssave variable
and can be turned off by setting it to FALSE.  (One would add the
following to their .emacsrc file:

	set $ssave FALSE

}

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

>[  problem losing file ownership and permissions  ]

  This is the SAFESAVE option. I reported it as a possible problem when
it first came out, and I haven't changed my mind.

on DOS: if you are low on disk, keeping the original file around may
	cause failure when saving the file. It also allows you to save
	right over the top of a readonly file.

on UNIX: all of the above plus the ownership gets changed and you also
	lose the execute bit for shell scripts.

Opinion: this option made sense in the days of CP/M and Apple ][, with
small and unreliable floppy disks. It doesn't make sense for me in any
environment, and causes tons of problems in the cases listed above. I
suggested that the default source be shipped with the option off and
some cautionary wording in the manual, but I haven't looked to see if
that happened.

that the world is flat!" - anon

From article <440@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM>, by krupczak@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Bobby Krupczak):
> I am using Micro Emacs 3.10.  I have noticed that 3.10 seems to ignore
> current file permissions and use my umask setting by default.  Also
> when editing files owned by other users, the owner gets changed to
> me?  Has anyone encountered similiar problems, and if so, is there
> a fix for 3.10 that I dont have?

From the content of your posting I am assuming you're running under a
UNIX system. When you post problems always include machine and OS names,
it helps get an answer.

TO answer your question, place the following line in your .emacsrc file
and everything will be fine:

set $ssave FALSE

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

bam@rudedog.sgi.com (Brian McClendon) (11/10/89)

In article <10322@j.cc.purdue.edu> nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) writes:
>In article <440@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> krupczak@secola.UUCP (Bobby Krupczak) writes:
>>Hi!
>>
>>I am using Micro Emacs 3.10.  I have noticed that 3.10 seems to ignore
>>current file permissions and use my umask setting by default.  Also
>>when editing files owned by other users, the owner gets changed to
>>me?  Has anyone encountered similiar problems, and if so, is there
>>a fix for 3.10 that I dont have?
>>
>>bobby
>
>	Not so much a bug, as a feature......  actually it implements a new
>saving algorithm which writes out a temp file, deletes the original, and
>then renames the temp file.  This prevents system crashes from
>destroying the file.  This behavior is controled by the $ssave variable
>and can be turned off by setting it to FALSE.  (One would add the
>following to their .emacsrc file:
>
>	set $ssave FALSE

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the actual bug... which is that given
a -r--r--r-- file, uemacs 3.10 writes the file anyway.  It should check
the permissions before even doing the mv.

BTW, I have been trying to contact you (Daniel Lawrence) about other
problems I'm having with 3.10, but so far no response by E-mail.

One I remember off-hand is the use of entab/detab in a $readhook-ed
macro seems to hose the file while just executing the macro works fine.

Another is when editting a file w/ the cursor at the beginning of an
existing line, hitting <CR> to insert one before the existing line
is a no-op.  This one is rare but I see it at least once a week.

Are these known problems, have I screwed something up in the build, or
have I discovered new ones?

(I love uemacs and would die without the portability it offers, thanks
 for making it available to the world!)
   Brian McClendon bam@rudedog.SGI.COM ...!uunet!sgi!rudedog!bam 415-335-1110
   "... Cornnuts ..." - Heather 1

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/11/89)

In article <1592@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>[  problem losing file ownership and permissions  ]
>
>  This is the SAFESAVE option. I reported it as a possible problem when
>it first came out, and I haven't changed my mind.

	[ Some reasonable valid reasons for not using $ssaveing]

>Opinion: this option made sense in the days of CP/M and Apple ][, with
>small and unreliable floppy disks. It doesn't make sense for me in any
>environment, and causes tons of problems in the cases listed above. I
>suggested that the default source be shipped with the option off and
>some cautionary wording in the manual, but I haven't looked to see if
>that happened.

>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

	True, there are reasons for not using ssaving, but the worst
that happens when using it is that the files get the wrong permissions,
and or links get confused.  If the temp file write fails on disk space
uEMACS will also chime up with an error message and leave you editing...
ie you can shell and fix the problem.

	If you should have been using it, and don't, then the worst that
happens is that you destroy your original file and don't get your new
file written out.  After a few times of this happening to people, I
decided to make it the default.  Mind you, I have absolutly no problem
with people dropping a

	set $ssave FALSE

	in their startup files.  That's what they are for.  But I do
want the default shipped behavior to be consistant across all platforms,
and I consider the problem of loosing files completely more immediate
than that of bad permissions.