[comp.emacs] Anybody familiar w/ Micro-Emacs ?

In article <21161@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the Micro-Emacs.
>In particular, I'm interested in the Lisp aspects of Emacs,
>and I'm curious if the Micro-Emacs version also supports an
>internal lisp interpreter.  Also:

No it doesn't but of course there is XLisp source available and
Emacs source available. So what else do you need ? :-) On the
Amiga I've hacked up a version of 3.10 that talks to the REXX langauge
processor so that one can do really wild stuff with the editor like
add tex-buffer commands and do compiles into and out of the emacs text
space but that won't help you I'm afraid.

>1)  does Micro-Emacs support parentheses balancing ?
Yup.

>2)  how many megs does it take up ?  and can
>    it run with 640k mem ?
This was the giveaway. Yes, but be aware that on PC type machines that
it does *not* do any sort of virtual memory management so you can only
edit files up to a size of (TPA - sizeof(emacs.exe)). Depending on your
setup that can be as small as 100K files.

>3)  is the micro version "just" an editor ?  or does
>    it have the developement environment like its
>    mainframe cousin ?

The editor has a command language that can do some stuff like pipe a
buffer through a command. But of course the amount of memory left to
run a command would be real tight when it came to something like a C
program being compiled by microsoft C.

--Chuck McManis
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

leaf@microsoft.UUCP (Lea Foster) (11/11/89)

In article <21161@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> kcw@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the Micro-Emacs.

Me too !  (I did see one followup posting but it didn't address what
I need to know.)

My question is, is there documentation for Micro-Emacs I could
get from somewhere ?  It's the Emacs that happenned to be lying
around when I started work here.

Barring that, how does one go about getting a gnu emacs ?

Very beginner questions, and so all information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Lea

{uunet, uw-beaver, sun}!microsoft!leaf        or
fester@grace.cs.washington.edu