[comp.emacs] Perfect Writer

DISPATCH@NCSUVM.BITNET (10/20/89)

I have heard that Perfect Writer was a subset of EMACS.  is this true?
If so, how much of EMACS is in PW?

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (10/23/89)

DISPATCH@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:

>I have heard that Perfect Writer was a subset of EMACS.  is this true?
>If so, how much of EMACS is in PW?

Yes, it was.  It was about 75% of something like micro-Emacs, i.e.,
the main stuff, horizontally split windows, and so on, but no meta-X,
lisp, or command completeion features.  Just what would be useful and
fit in a CP/M environment.  As I understand it, perfect writer was a sort
of bare-bones implementation of scribe.

	Ross

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (11/13/89)

In article <1188@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
>DISPATCH@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>
>>I have heard that Perfect Writer was a subset of EMACS.  is this true?
>>If so, how much of EMACS is in PW?
>
>Yes, it was.  It was about 75% of something like micro-Emacs, i.e.,
>the main stuff, horizontally split windows, and so on, but no meta-X,
>lisp, or command completeion features.  Just what would be useful and
>fit in a CP/M environment.  As I understand it, perfect writer was a sort
>of bare-bones implementation of scribe.

Perfect Writer was a descendent of MINCE (Mince Is Not Complete Emacs) and
SCRIBBLE.  The code was sold for one (low) lump sum to the company that
marketed Perfect Writer.  Once Perfect Writer took off, the authors decided
that the prodcut was worth pursuing, and evolved the code into FinalWord.
The last version, FinalWord II version 2.10, was very Emacs-like; it had
a builtin macro language that included recursion, a completely redefinable
user interface (all menus, commands, and keys could be redefined) and a very
full Scribe-compatible markup language.  The product was sold to Borland,
and formed the basis for Borland's SPRINT: The Professional Word Processor,
as is noted in the SPRINT doc.  Sprint understands all the old FinalWord II
@ commands, and has added and extended many more @ commands.  This is all
poorly documented in their manuals, since they assume most people will want
to use their menu interface to accomplish formatting.  One of these days,
I'll write the great Sprint for Emacs & Scribe Users book, and things will
be wonderful :-)  Til then, Sprint is really worth looking into.  It has
a soft user interface which can be fully redefined, and you can load different
interfaces on the fly.  They push their WordPerfect and MS Word interfaces
(these come predefined, source code provided) but they still have the
FinalWord II and Emacs interfaces FinalWord Corp. used to use.

If anyone wants more information, feel free to drop me a line.

- Tony
  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
  catone@wharton.upenn.edu

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (11/14/89)

I've played with Sprint a bit, trying to get Scribe compatibility.
You can certainly see that it is based on technology similar to
Scribe's.  However it has diverged for a number of years.  User level
stuff tends to be fairly similar.  However document descriptions (i.e.
format files) use rather different facilities for Scribe and Sprint.
If you put @modify commands at the beginning of your files, they will
typically be different for Scribe and Sprint.  Experienced Scribe
users will find it fairly easy to move to Sprint, but maintaining a
document that can be compiled with either one is a bit hairy.  I've
done it, but it requires a lot of work in setting up a format that
works identically on both systems.  Even then if users need to
be able to adjust formats on the fly, e.g
  @begin(description, indent -10)
you're going to run into differences in the way things work that
will be visible at the user level.