[comp.emacs] call for discussion: renaming comp.emacs to comp.editors.emacs

kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones) (11/10/89)

I propose that the newsgroup "comp.emacs" be renamed to "comp.editors.emacs".

The categorization of Emacs as a text editor by placing it under
"comp.editors" seems reasonable and proper, much more so than
placing it under "comp" alone.  Although Emacs has been extended
to do many things seemingly tangential to editing, its central
function is still text editing and it should be classified as such.

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (11/16/89)

From article <1989Nov14.200214.20147@talos.uucp>, by kjones@talos.uucp (Kyle Jones):
+ I write:
+  > Although Emacs has been extended to do many things seemingly
+  > tangential to editing, its central function is still text editing
+  > and it should be classified as such.

+ Joe Wells writes:
+  > I disagree that its central function is text editing.  If you took a
+  > survey, I think you would find that more than half of the time spent using
+  > Emacs was not for text editing.

Forget about splitting comp.emacs (however renamed).  The readers are
perfectly happy with it the way it is.

The results of a poll I took in comp.emacs (about splitting the newsgroup) a
few of weeks ago will soon be posted.

Comp.emacs should be left as a single group.
--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM, baur%venice.SEDD.TRW.COM@uunet.UU.NET

dsill@ark1.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (11/16/89)

In article <144@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven
L. Baur) writes:
> Forget about splitting comp.emacs (however renamed).  The readers are
> perfectly happy with it the way it is.

What split?  We're discussing a simple renaming.  I'm all for it, and
anything else that makes the hierarchy more logical.

Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) (11/17/89)

Dave> What split?  We're discussing a simple renaming.  I'm all for
Dave> it, and anything else that makes the hierarchy more logical.

Here!  Here!  No matter what you say, Emacs is still an editor.
Though it has evolved into something more functional than most, its
still an editor.  That was the intent when it was written.

Dave> Dave Sill (dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil)

Walter Rowe (rowe@cme.nist.gov)

pjnesser@fenchurch.mit.edu (Philip John Nesser) (11/19/89)

I must agree that emacs is much more than a text editor, and thus should
remain where it is in the news structure.  There are too many possible
places for it to go(and not just comp.editors).  It could be argued that it
should be comp.os.emacs.  I won't argue about it but I wanted to express my
opinion on the topic.

---> Philip J. Nesser
Student Staff Software Engineer
MIT EECS Educational Computer Facility