[comp.emacs] FREEMACS

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (02/02/88)

I was unable to reach the author directly, so here are my patches
for Freemacs.

The following changes to emacs.ed implement an option to ^Q that allows
entering any character using its octal value, and they change the default
colors to something that works on monochrome screens.  Actually,
quoted-char should also accept meta chars typed using the ALT key, as well
as octal values.  The only other change that I'd like is to make Emacs
work with big files.  However I'd have to spend a lot more time studying
the program before I would feel qualified to do that.  NOte that I
changed an ESC to ^] to get it to go through our mail.

Name:Fquoted-char
Prompt the user for a control character, and return the character.
[*]#(an,Enter control character?)
#(ds,temp,#(g))
#(an)
#(==,##(gn,temp,1),\,(
	#(ds,value)
	#(Freadline,Octal code:,foo)
	#(bc,#(value),o,a)
),(
#(rs,temp)
#(==,##(gn,temp,2),C-,(
	##(bc,##(--,#(Ftoupper,##(bc,##(gs,temp),a,d)),64),d,a)
),(
	#(rs,temp)
	#(Fcase,##(temp),
		(LPar,(##(bc,40,d,a))),
		(RPar,(##(bc,41,d,a))),
		(Comma,((,))),
		(Tab,((	))),
		(Escape,^]),
		(##(temp))
	)
))))[*]

Name:F-fore-color
Text foreground color
[*]7[*]

Name:F-back-color
Text background color.
[*]0[*]

Name:F-mode-fore-color
Mode line foreground color
[*]0[*]

Name:F-mode-back-color
Mode line background color
[*]1[*]

Changes to ibm.asm.  < is the old version, > is the new version.
The changes display control chars using high intensity mode,
which is 08h, and meta chars using inverse video.

1c1,3
< ;History:545,1
---
> ;History:2,1
> ;01-30-88 18:49:54 make control be bright, meta inverse
> ;01-30-88 17:50:14 use inverse vid for ctl chars (for MDA)
795a795,801
>       cmp     al,80h                  ;meta char?
>       jb      xychrout_nometa         ;no
>       mov     cl,4                    ;yes, inverse video
>       rol     ah,cl
>       and     al,7fh                  ;but move into normal char range
> xychrout_nometa:
803,804d803
<       cmp     al,0ffh                 ;print 255 specially
<       je      xychrout_del
805,806c805
<       mov     ah,color
<       or      ah,10h                  ;bold chars.
---
>       or      ah,0fh                  ;bright
808,812d808
< xychrout_del:
<       mov     ah,color
<       or      ah,10h
<       mov     al,7fh                  ;bold del.
<       jmp     short xychrout_1
809,809d809
<       mov     ah,color

For emacs14d, a patch is also needed to emacs.asm to make inital_ids
public.  Perhaps this is because I was using emacs14c from Simtel
and emacs14d from you?

mcli@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Maurice Ling) (04/01/89)

Hello everyone,

After looking around for an EMACS editor for the IBM PC, I have finally,
with advice from various net people, found that Freemacs is the one that
best suits my tastes, since it does act like gnu emacs in most respects.

One (probably trivial) annoyance is the blinking mode line.  Is there
any way you can make it stop blinking?

Thanks,

Maurice

*                                                                      *
* Optics...  The wave of the future             **      **      **     *
*                                              *  *    *  *    *  *    *
* BITNET  :  MCLI_SS@UORDBV, MCLISS@UORVM     *       *       *        *
* UUCP    :  ...rochester!uhura!mcli         **      **      **        *
* Internet:  mcli@uhura.cc.rochester.edu    ***     ***     ***        *
*                                         *****   *****   *****        *

In article <1303@ur-cc.UUCP> mcli@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Maurice Ling) writes:

   One (probably trivial) annoyance is the blinking mode line.  Is there
   any way you can make it stop blinking?

Yes.  Use M-x edit-options, and set mode-back-color to 7.  Most probably
your normal DOS colors are 15 (White) and 0 (Black).  When Freemacs starts
up, it samples the colors on your screen and makes them available as ##(lv,fo)
and ##(lv,bo) (Foreground Original and Background Original).  Freemacs naively
swaps these two colors to inverse the mode line.  Setting the background
color to anything greater than 7 causes blinking.  The next version (1.5e
if it's trivial, 2.0 if I eliminate the 64K limit on file size) has fixed
this.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
If you can, help others.  If you can't,       |        Leftoid and proud of it

lisar@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Lisa Rogers) (11/11/89)

In comp.emacs, wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

> In article <364@mlfarm.UUCP> ron@mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
> ]I normally work with Gnu Emacs on a Unix system, but need to use a
> ]laptop for work at libraries and archives. ...
> ] ... It would be terrific if
> ]the editor understood modes for text and C and/or could be programmed
> ]in emacs lisp, but "feel" and key-mapping close to Gnu Emacs is more
> ]important...
> ]
>
> 	You want epsilon, from Lugaru Software, $150 at your local
> programmers discount mail order, $195 from them.  It is better than
> GNU, because it's identical, only faster.
> ----------

What do you mean by "identical"?  Do you mean it has the same keybindings?
Does it have the same functionality?  Can you program it in emacs-lisp, or
for that matter, can you program it at all?

I believe their are public domain dos mico-emacs around, but you can't
program them, that I know of.  If you find one that you can program,
I would like to know about it.  So if this one is not programmable, I
would not buy it without trying it or getting more information about it.
Sorry to be skeptical...

Lisa

lisar@hpfcbig.UUCP (Lisa Rogers) (11/11/89)

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (11/13/89)

In article <NELSON.89Nov8222149@image.clarkson.edu>
  nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
>In article <2238@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>    In article <364@mlfarm.UUCP> ron@mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
>   ]I normally work with Gnu Emacs on a Unix system, but need to use a
>   ]laptop for work at libraries and archives. ...
>   ] ... It would be terrific if
>   ]the editor understood modes for text and C and/or could be programmed
>   ]in emacs lisp, but "feel" and key-mapping close to Gnu Emacs is more
>   ]important...
>  You want epsilon, from Lugaru Software, $150 at your local
>   programmers discount mail order, $195 from them.  It is better than
>   GNU, because it's identical, only faster.
> No, he doesn't necessarily want Epsilon.  Freemacs may suffice for his
>needs.  Best of all, it's free, so he can try it out before he spends $150.

Epsilon is terrific.  I use it all the time at work.  However, it is
*not* identical to emacs.  It does have its own language for
customization, but it is a C-like language, not a lisp-like language.
It is quite a different program, although it looks and feels just like
emacs.  Also, there are too many variables to flat out say that
Epsilon is faster than GNU.  It's a smaller program with fewer
capabilities, running on a single-user single-tasking machine.  If
you run GNU on a Sun-4, don't expect Epsilon on your 4.77 Mhz 8086 PC
to blow it away.

In addition to Freemacs, there is MicroGNU Emacs.  I think (but am not
really sure) that this has also come out of FSF, but it is available
via anonymous FTP from lots of places.  There are a few others
available, but I forget some of the names.  Since I use Epsilon all
the time, I don't have much experience with the others, and therefore
am not qualified to recommend one over the other.

If you only want a quick-n-dirty editor that feels like emacs for note
taking, etc., then any of them will suffice.  If, however, you're
looking for an all purpose editor to use on a regular basis for
programming, note taking, and writing lots-and-lots, I'd recommend
Epsilon.

Note, I have no connection wtih Lugaru Software, except as a satisfied
customer.

~~Steve
/*************************************************
 *
 *Steven Abrams             abrams@cs.columbia.edu
 *
#include <std/dumquote.h>
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
--
/*************************************************
 *

abrams@cs.UUCP (Steven Abrams) (11/13/89)

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) (11/20/89)

In article <7140003@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> lisar@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Lisa Rogers) writes:
>In comp.emacs, wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>> 	You want epsilon, from Lugaru Software, $150 at your local
>> programmers discount mail order, $195 from them.  It is better than
>> GNU, because it's identical, only faster.
>
>What do you mean by "identical"?  Do you mean it has the same keybindings?
>Does it have the same functionality?  Can you program it in emacs-lisp, or
>for that matter, can you program it at all?
>
>I believe their are public domain dos mico-emacs around, but you can't
>program them, that I know of.  If you find one that you can program,
>I would like to know about it.  So if this one is not programmable, I
>would not buy it without trying it or getting more information about it.
>Sorry to be skeptical...
>
>Lisa

It is one thing to be skeptical, but quite another to waste people's
time posting an article that renders such an uninformed opinion.
Reading this news group for but one day (or at most a couple of days)
makes it abundantly clear that there are large number of emacses that
are programmable.

Micro-emacs uses a C like macro language and freemacs uses a language
called lint, to name just two.

They may not be gnu, but they are certainly more than just editors.

Kim Letkeman    uunet!mitel!spock!kim

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil I. Weisenfeld) (11/30/89)

I recenty got Freemacs 1.5f from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.  I like
Freemacs alot and am wondering if there is a more recent version or if
anyone know of a more complete tags package.  The tags package that I
got from grape only does M-x find-tag.  I'm also having a problem with
the editor crashing every once in a blue moon when it can't find a
file that it is looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Neil Weisenfeld			Internet: weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania	USPS:	  3700 Spruce Street, Box 572
Computer Science Dept.  		  Philadelphia, PA  19104
Class of 1991

"No matter where you go, there you are."

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (11/30/89)

Neil> I recenty got Freemacs 1.5f from grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.  I like
Neil> Freemacs alot and am wondering if there is a more recent version or if
Neil> anyone know of a more complete tags package.  The tags package that I
Neil> got from grape only does M-x find-tag.  I'm also having a problem with
Neil> the editor crashing every once in a blue moon when it can't find a
Neil> file that it is looking for.

I have a similar problem--it's one of those things that you keep meaning to
find out about, but never get around to....  Freemacs just bombs and locks
the whole computer every now and then.  It beeps and dies.  Usually when I
type a bad key sequence or look for a file or execute a complex function or
something like that.  The pc I'm using is some sort of 10mhz XT clone if that
makes a difference.
--
Rodney

drcook@hubcap.clemson.edu (david richard cook) (11/30/89)

From article <RODNEY.89Nov30015959@sun.ipl.rpi.edu>, by rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II):
> I have a similar problem--it's one of those things that you keep meaning to
> find out about, but never get around to....  Freemacs just bombs and locks
> the whole computer every now and then.  It beeps and dies.  Usually when I
> type a bad key sequence or look for a file or execute a complex function or
> something like that.  The pc I'm using is some sort of 10mhz XT clone if that
> makes a difference.
> --
> Rodney

	I do believe that Freemacs has a definite compatibility
problem.  I have tried to use it on an AT&T PC-6300 and haven't gotten
it to do anything but crash the machine.  Freemacs it the only editor
(JOVE, BRIEF, Epsilon, MicroEmacs all work fine on this machine) that
I have had compatibility problems with.

David R. Cook
Clemson University, SC

In article <7250@hubcap.clemson.edu> drcook@hubcap.clemson.edu (david richard cook) writes:

   From article <RODNEY.89Nov30015959@sun.ipl.rpi.edu>, byrodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II):
   > I have a similar problem--it's one of those things that you keep
   > meaning to find out about, but never get around to....  Freemacs
   > just bombs and locks the whole computer every now and then.  It
   > beeps and dies.  Usually when I type a bad key sequence or look
   > for a file or execute a complex function or something like that.
   > The pc I'm using is some sort of 10mhz XT clone if that makes a
   > difference.  -- Rodney

   	I do believe that Freemacs has a definite compatibility
   problem.  I have tried to use it on an AT&T PC-6300 and haven't gotten
   it to do anything but crash the machine.

Hearing all these bug reports (for the first time), I don't wonder if
my bell-ringing code isn't still screwed up.  You see, I *really*
munged PCs and XTs with Freemacs 1.5e -- ringing the bell crashed the
machine.  There was no trouble with ATs because they refresh the
memory differently.  I thought that Freemacs 1.5f fixed that problem,
but perhaps not?

For anyone who's having troubles with Freemacs 1.5f, please change to a
visual bell and see if your troubles go away.  To do this:

Use M-x options-edit.  Change the bell-pitch to -1.  This will disable the
bell-ringing code and enable the visual bell code.  Hopefully this will
end the crashes.

Keep in touch -- Freemacs is reliable for me, and I want it to be reliable
for you.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.