[comp.emacs] BRIEF emulation

ed@intermec.UUCP (Ed Jennings x6996) (11/30/89)

Does anyone have a .emacs file for GNU Emacs that makes Emacs look like the PC
based editor BRIEF?

We just received a copy of GNU Emacs here and many of the engineers have been
using BRIEF.

Ed Jennings
email: ed@intermec          ({fluke,pilchuck}!intermec!ed)
voice: +1 206 348 2600 ext 6996
snail: Intermec Corporation, PO Box C360602, Lynnwood, WA 98046 USA

dale@NCoast.ORG (Dale Smith) (12/01/89)

In article <1126@intermec.UUCP> ed@intermec.com () writes:

>Does anyone have a .emacs file for GNU Emacs that makes Emacs look like the PC
>based editor BRIEF?
>
>We just received a copy of GNU Emacs here and many of the engineers have been
>using BRIEF.

How about some brief macros to emulate emacs?  I use brief, but for
some strange reason, I would like the editors on all the different
machines I use to look and feel the same.

Thanks, dale

--
Dale P. Smith
                          dale@ncoast.org

From article <1126@intermec.UUCP>, by ed@intermec.UUCP (Ed Jennings x6996):

> Does anyone have a .emacs file for GNU Emacs that makes Emacs look like the PC
> based editor BRIEF?

Some of our DOS people are being dragged kicking and screaming to Xenix.
They've been using Brief and miss it. However, one of the reasons they
cling to Brief is they know all the keystrokes. Unfortunately, most of

If anything exists (and I doubt it) similar to what you're looking it's
bound to be very terminal specific and still won't give them everything
they want.

However, if I am wrong, someone please send me a copy of the code so I
can make it available to my users.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

djm@abyss.eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) (12/01/89)

In article <5608@cps3xx.UUCP> usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>If anything exists (and I doubt it) similar to what you're looking it's
>bound to be very terminal specific and still won't give them everything
>they want.
>
>However, if I am wrong, someone please send me a copy of the code so I
>can make it available to my users.

Earlier this year (or maybe it was late last year) a free Brief clone
for Unix called Crisp (an obscure synonym for "brief") appeared in
comp.sources.misc.  It can be configured for any kind of keyboard and
display; I've used it on both a Wyse 50 and a PC running MS-Kermit;
it also comes with macros to configure it for the Xenix, 386/ix, and
AT&T/Intel 386 Unix consoles.  Unfortunately, the author, Paul Fox, lost
his net access when he quit his job (he lives in England), and I haven't
heard from him since.  He was going to work on emulating the newer Brief
macro language (the one that's like C) in addition to the Lisp-like
older macro language that Crisp currently supports, but I don't know of
any way (short of sending Paul snail mail) to get any improvements he's
made to Crisp since the comp.sources.misc posting.  He was improving it
quite intensely at that time, so I suspect he's done more to it since
then, as well.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@eng.umd.edu>

drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) (12/02/89)

One of my projects here (among many) has been to write a BRIEF mode
for GNU Emacs.  Unfortunately, it has gotten buried under my other
"more important" projects, but it is in the works.  When and if it is
finished, I will post it to the net.  Also, if anyone else has already
done this, or even part of it, please let me know.  I can use all of
the help I can get....

It was originally going to be for the at386 terminal used by ISC
386/ix, but I have hopes of expanding it to use the termcap/terminfo
database.  I will warn you however, we have done a large ammount of
customizing for our version of BRIEF, and I can't guarantee that any
of our key bindings will be the same as yours.

--
Dan Rich                    | ARPA: drich%dialogic@uunet.uu.net
UNIX Systems Administrator  | UUCP: uunet!dialogic!drich

mark@jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) (12/02/89)

+
+If anything exists (and I doubt it) similar to what you're looking it's
+bound to be very terminal specific and still won't give them everything
+they want.
+
+However, if I am wrong, someone please send me a copy of the code so I
+can make it available to my users.

There are a couple of ways to deal with this.  The first is to get a copy
of the "CRISP 1.9" source code.  CRISP is a Brief clone that runs under
UNIX.  Support for Xenix is included in the package.

You could run emacs and then build the keybindings that you want.  I
wouldn't think that it would be too tough, but...

There is also a macro package available for Brief that maps the brief
keyboard into one that looks a lot like the GNU Emacs keyboard.  This would
allow your programmers to have a single interface to an editor, using Brief
on the PCS or EMACS on Xenix.

The macro package is available from the UnderWare Bulliten board.  Call
your Brief distributor for more details or call UnderWare directly.  The
number is in the manual.

I hope that this helps you out...

--
Mark H. Colburn                       mark@Minnetech.MN.ORG