Date: Sun, 4 Sep 88 16:43:13 EDT
From: Chris Maio <chris@columbia.edu>
To: info-gnu-emacs@prep.ai.mit.edu, NeWS-makers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: NeWS support for Emacs 18.52 available

A NeWS interface for GNU Emacs 18.52 is now available on columbia.edu in
pub/ps-emacs.tar.Z, or via mail.  This release is compatible with Emacs
versions 18.49 through 18.52, and NeWS versions 1.0 and 1.1.  No new
functionality has been introduced over that offfered by previous versions, but
all known bugs and compatibility problems have been addressed.

Included in the patch kit is major mode for editing PostScript code which
PostScript programmers may find useful in and of itself.

The Internet name servers are still advertising an obsolete address for
columbia.edu, so if you have trouble connecting the ftp server, try specifying
an alternate address (128.59.16.1 or 128.121.13.2).

To get the NeWS interface kit via mail, send a message containing the line
"send NeWS emacs-support" to archive-server@columbia.edu.  The shar file that
will be returned is approximately 75k bytes long.

Chris

------- End of Forwarded Message

--
    Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com>	| Tardis Express -- when it
    Information Services,		| absolutely, positively

david@mmsac.UUCP (David Kensiski) (12/13/89)

In article <8912121640.AA11252@romano.cs.wisc.edu> dave@CS.WISC.EDU
(Dave Cohrs) writes:

> I found that my emacs window sat on top of the other windows -- a kind
> of overlay.  I couldn't raise any regular NeWS windows on top of my
> emacs window.  There is also this hideous border around the emacs window
> (a 10-20 pixel wide white "nomans land" where nothing works -- the
> cursor even disappears in this area).  Also, I couldn't resize it like
> the NeWS windows.  These problems seem to be common to any SunTools
> program you happen to run.

My solution was to open a shelltool and run emacs manually from within
the shelltool.  This got around the problem of suntools punching
through to the front of your screen.

--
David L. Kensiski, KB6HCN     Martin Marietta Data Systems
Software Engineer             1540 River Park Drive, Suite 213