[net.unix-wizards] re. a better cpio/tar

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (04/09/86)

[replace the line-eater]
The recent suggestions about the shortcomings of cpio point to the
obvious solution - we need a decent public domain cpio (and tar).
My gripes about this pair include cpio's inability to handle multiple
tapes/disks and tar's inability to have the filelist on stdin.  It
would be a worthwhile project for the usenet community to develope
public domain inplementations so we can fix them to work reasonably.
If someone has even a rough version of tar and/or cpio and would
post, we could get the ball rolling.
--
Stu Heiss {ihnp4!jpusa1!stu}

sam@delftcc.UUCP (Sam Kendall) (04/16/86)

In article <124@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP writes:
> My gripes about this pair include cpio's inability to handle multiple
> tapes/disks ....

Is there any reason why the archiving program needs to handle output to
the tape or disk, as tar does?  It would seem cleaner to say something
like

        ...  | cpio -oc | write-to-tape

where "write-to-tape" takes care of multiple tapes, and also (if
appropriate) compression or checksumming.

Please reply by mail; I'll summarize.

----
Sam Kendall			{ ihnp4 | seismo!cmcl2 }!delftcc!sam
Delft Consulting Corp.		ARPA: delftcc!sam@NYU.ARPA