[comp.emacs] InfoTex

jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) (12/13/89)

i was attempting to print out the gnu manual from the infotex sources,
but aparently i missed something in the attempt.   I performed the
three shell commands that were supposed to convert the documents, but
they didn't work because TeX was looking for .tex files.  How do i
convert the infotex files into tex sources so that i can print out the
manuals?

iain the flippant | You'll PAY To Know What You REALLY Think |
jb3o@andrew.cmu.edu(INTERNET) | Your MIND Left Intentionally Blank |
R746JB3O@cmccvb(BITNET) | SCIENCE DOES NOT REMOVE THE TERROR OF THE GODS|
disclaimer: anything I say may be wrong - I don't represent anyone but me

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/14/89)

In article <8ZVIxRK00Uo100e2sK@andrew.cmu.edu>, jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (J
Boone) writes:
> i was attempting to print out the gnu manual from the infotex sources,
> but aparently i missed something in the attempt.   I performed the
> three shell commands that were supposed to convert the documents, but
> they didn't work because TeX was looking for .tex files.  How do i
> convert the infotex files into tex sources so that i can print out the
> manuals?

You don't use the "infotex" files. You have to use the original
texinfo files. They should TeX just fine if you have the
texindex(index sorter) and texinfo.tex files. TeX doesn't care about
the extensions, just specify the full filename when invoking TeX.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/14/89)

In article <8ZVIxRK00Uo100e2sK@andrew.cmu.edu> jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) writes:
   i was attempting to print out the gnu manual from the infotex
   sources, but aparently i missed something in the attempt.  I
   performed the three shell commands that were supposed to convert
   the documents, but they didn't work because TeX was looking for
   .tex files.  How do i convert the infotex files into tex sources so
   that i can print out the manuals?

You mean texinfo, right?  In your GNU Emacs distribution there's a
directory called man/ that contains, among other things, emacs.tex and
texinfo.tex.  The first line in emacs.tex is
	\input texinfo  @c -*-texinfo-*-
which loads all the TeX macros from texinfo.tex so that TeX will know
how to format your Emacs manual.  You should be able to simply say
"tex emacs" and have it drop a dvi file in your lap.

You'll have to make texindex and re-TeX emacs.tex before you have a
dvi file ready to translate into something for your printer, but this
will get you through steps 1 and 3.

kgallagh@digi.UUCP (Kevin Gallagher) (12/14/89)

>Article 882 of comp.emacs:
>From: jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone)
>Subject: InfoTex
>Date: 12 Dec 89 19:19:57 GMT

>i was attempting to print out the gnu manual from the infotex sources,
>but aparently i missed something in the attempt.   I performed the
>three shell commands that were supposed to convert the documents, but
>they didn't work because TeX was looking for .tex files.  How do i
>convert the infotex files into tex sources so that i can print out the
>manuals?

The Info source for the GNU Emacs manual is the same source file for
the hardcopy version generated by TeX.  It is called "emacs.tex" and
can be found in the "man" directory from the GNU Emacs distribution
tape.

The file "emacs.tex" is written using the texinfo macros found in the
same "man" directory in the file "texinfo.texinfo".  In order to
generate a hardcopy of the manual, place emacs.tex and texinfo.texinfo
into your default directory.  Then invoke TeX, supplying emacs.tex as
an input file.  This, in turn, will load texinfo.texinfo to pick up
all the texinfo macros.  Once this has completed, run "makeindex", and
then run tex again, to resolve cross references, and you will have a
emacs.dvi file ready for conversion to the format needed by your
printer.

It is a lot less bother and cheaper, in the long run, to send FSF $15
for a bound copy, or $60 for a box of 6 bound copies.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (12/14/89)

In article <283@digi.UUCP>, kgallagh@digi (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>The file "emacs.tex" is written using the texinfo macros found in the
>same "man" directory in the file "texinfo.texinfo".  In order to
>generate a hardcopy of the manual, place emacs.tex and texinfo.texinfo
>into your default directory.  Then invoke TeX, supplying emacs.tex as
>an input file.  This, in turn, will load texinfo.texinfo to pick up
>all the texinfo macros.  Once this has completed, run "makeindex", and
>then run tex again, to resolve cross references, and you will have a
>emacs.dvi file ready for conversion to the format needed by your
>printer.

Almost right.  The texinfo macros are in the file texinfo.tex.  When
you run TeX, this should be in either the same directory as emacs.tex,
or in TeX's macros/ or inputs/ directory (better there, so others can
use infotex).  The file infotex.infotex is the manual/info source that
describes infotex itself.  The usual convention is that source files
written with the infotex marcos have the extension ".texinfo", but
the emacs manual itself volates this.  As others have said, TeX is
willing to let you explicitly provide it an extension other than
".tex".  Those of you who have the gcc distribution will find a newer
version of infotex.tex therein.

>It is a lot less bother and cheaper, in the long run, to send FSF $15
>for a bound copy, or $60 for a box of 6 bound copies.

Hear Hear!
--
/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/15/89)

In article <283@digi.UUCP> kgallagh@digi.UUCP (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
   The file "emacs.tex" is written using the texinfo macros found in
   the same "man" directory in the file "texinfo.texinfo".

Nope, the macros are in texinfo.tex.  texinfo.texinfo is documentation
on texinfo, written in texinfo.  It was named .texinfo because the
name texinfo.tex was already taken, by the macros themselves.

   In order to generate a hardcopy of the manual, place emacs.tex and
   texinfo.texinfo into your default directory.

You'll need emacs.tex and texinfo.tex.  If you want to print the
texinfo documentation, you'll need texinfo.texinfo, which also invokes
macros found in texinfo.tex.

   It is a lot less bother and cheaper, in the long run, to send FSF
   $15 for a bound copy, or $60 for a box of 6 bound copies.

You'll need to decide for yourself whether it's more bother to
generate a check and await delivery, or do it yourself in about five
minutes using local resources (paper, CPU cycles, etc.)  Also, buying
manuals or ordering tapes have been found to be convenient ways for
some folks in some organizations to get their organizations to write a
check to FSF, explicitly supporting their work without having to
explain the politics to the higher-ups.  Your choice...