[comp.emacs] d/regexp EQUIV. in EMACS

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (12/29/89)

[ Another newcomer looks in vain for Emacs info in comp.editors.  *sigh*
  I'm crossposting to comp.emacs to move this to the right forum. ]

Aamod Sane writes:
 > One of the things I have found very appealing in vi is the use of regular
 > expressions for things such as "delete upto regexp", "move upto regexp" etc.
 > I could not find any equivalent in gnuemacs for this.
 > 	How would one go about doing this?

You use incremental search.  The command isearch-forward-regexp is
normally bound to ESC C-s.  Once executed, "Regexp I-search:" appears in
the minibuffer and you simply type in the your regular expression.
Emacs will search forward as you type.  Typing C-s or C-r will search
forward or backward for the regular expression you have entered.  Once
you have found what you're looking for, type ESC and Emacs will leave
point at the end of the regular expression and set the mark where you
began searching.

At this point you can "delete up to regexp" by typing C-w (kill-region)
which will kill all text between the point and the mark.