[comp.emacs] MIT Teco manual sought

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (12/02/89)

So I'm weird.  For various historical and amusement reasons, I'm
looking for a copy of the MIT Teco manual.  Back in the ITS days
I believe its name was ".INFO.;TECO ORDER".  Does anybody have it?
A pointer for anonymous FTP would be plenty.

Unfortunately it looks like MC has finally gone the way of all things,
so I can't get a copy there.  Sigh.  There's got to be copies elsewhere,
at TOPS-20 sites, though.

I don't read any of these newsgroups; please email responses.

Thanks.

tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) (12/05/89)

In article <2318@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) writes:
>So I'm weird.  For various historical and amusement reasons, I'm
>looking for a copy of the MIT Teco manual.  Back in the ITS days
>I believe its name was ".INFO.;TECO ORDER".  Does anybody have it?
>A pointer for anonymous FTP would be plenty.

Funny, just this morning I had similar thoughts.  It would be nice if
some FTP site could provide files interesting from a "software
archaeology" standpoint, like for instance TECO.ORDER, TECO.MID (wasn't
the PDP-10 TECO written in something called MIDAS?), some Twenex EMACS
library sources, MACLISP sources, etc.  (I guess it shows that the
first Real Computer I used was a DEC-20).
--
Tor Lillqvist, VTT/ATK

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (12/07/89)

;
;Funny, just this morning I had similar thoughts.  It would be nice if
;some FTP site could provide files interesting from a "software
;archaeology" standpoint, like for instance TECO.ORDER, TECO.MID (wasn't
;the PDP-10 TECO written in something called MIDAS?), some Twenex EMACS
;library sources, MACLISP sources, etc.

I second the motion -- "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."
Personally I've been trying to get hold of a spec for IPL-V.

stampe@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Stampe) (12/07/89)

There are copies of the MIT Teco manual and many other Twenex info files
on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/info/.  Namely:

biblio.info.Z  columns.info.Z  conv.info.Z  crtsty.info.Z  dir.info.Z
docond.info.Z  eclu.info.Z  efortran.info.Z  emacs.info.Z  epasc.info.Z
epl1.info.Z  etex.info.Z  exec.info.Z  info.info.Z  inter.info.Z
ispell.info.Z  itstty.info.Z  ivory.info.Z  jargon.info.Z  jsysaf.info.Z
jsysnr.info.Z  jsyssz.info.Z  languages.info.Z  ledit.info.Z  mail.Z
midas.info.Z  modlin.info.Z  pdp-10.info.Z  renum.info.Z  rguide.info.Z
rsx20f.info.Z  slowly.info.Z  srccom.info.Z  standards.info.Z  tags.info.Z
tdebug.info.Z  teco.info.Z  tecord.info.Z  tmacs.info.Z  vt100.info.Z
wordab.info.Z  xgp.info.Z  atsign.info.Z  babyl.info.Z  haz1510.info.Z
jsysgm.info.Z  mkdump.info.Z  satire.info.Z  terms.info.Z

I believe that tecord.info is RMS's original file, while teco.info is
Lum Johnson's version, with a node for each Teco command.  (Lum,
please correct me if I've got it backwards.)  emacs.info is the Twenex
Emacs manual.  conv.info is RMS's manual on programming Emacs in Teco.

jargon.info is a slightly edited original, circa 1980, of The Hacker's
Dictionary, with etymologies for kludge and split-p soup.

Most of these are compatible with the GNU info format, so if you just put
them into your ...emacs/info/ directory, and add a line for each in your
...emacs/info/dir file, you can read them in info.

Now, two questions:

 * Whatever happened to the old file called Alice's PDP11 (or some such)?

 * There used to be an MIT AI Lab report on the design and philosophy
   of (Twenex) Emacs.  (I've forgotten the author - it was not RMS).
   Does a machine-readable copy of this exists anywhere?

David Stampe (stampe@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/08/89)

In article <4331@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi> tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
   In article <2318@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) writes:
      ...For various historical and amusement reasons, I'm looking for
      a copy of the MIT Teco manual...

   ...It would be nice if some FTP site could provide files
   interesting from a "software archaeology" standpoint,...

Try tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/info/teco.info.Z,
or,  equivalently, osu-cis!~/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/info/teco.info.Z.

There are a bunch of other  info-format files there  as well,  most of
them mostly  ready to slip  into your GNU Emacs info  area, that I got
from a local -20 one day last summer.  Sorry, no sources in TECO.

bob@reed.UUCP (Bob Ankeney) (12/08/89)

     Well, for TECO fiends, I'll pass this recent message along...
I'm not involved in this archive (other than having contributed), so
send notes to Pete.

	The TECO Collection as submitted to the DECUS Software Library is
available via anonymous ftp from usc.edu in /pub/tecoc.  One tar file exists
for each VMS subdirectory in the collection.  The subdirectories sre:

[.DOC]		The newest manual for "Standard" TECO,  dated May 1985.
		This manual is newer than what DEC distributes.  Also in
		here are v39 and v40 release notes,  describing all kinds
		of goodies in TECO11 and TECO32, like callable TECO.

[.EMACS11]	Fred Fish's EMACS subset for TECO-11 v35 or higher.

[.LIDSTER]	Ken Lidster's macros and a documentation file that describes
		TECO initialization and how to customize it.

[.MACROS]	Best/latest versions of "classic" TECO macros from the rest
		of the collection.

[.RSTS]		TECO stuff from RSTS/E v9.5, thanks to Mark Derrick.
		Contains 1982 sources of VTEDIT, SQU, etc. with some
		documentation.  I put this stuff in [.MACROS] and organized
		it there.

[.RSX...]	Everything I could find in the RSX SIG tapes relating to TECO.

[.SMITH]	Kelvin Smith's macros for munging BASIC under RSTS,
		documentation for TECO initialization for RSTS and VMS,
		and Kelvin's personal VTEDIT with documentation.

[.SOFLIB]	TECO entries from the DECUS Software Library.  VTEDIT for
		VAX TPU, video editors for HP and Tektronix terminals,
		an EMACS-like package for RSTS/E TECO-11, the distribution
		of TECO-11 v36,  more.

[.TECO11]	Source code for TECO-11 v36 (mixed mode for VMS).

[.TECO32_FOR_V4]	Native mode TECO32 released with VMS 5.0,  but
		built under v4 so it will run under v4.  No sources.

[.TECOC]	Pete Siemsen's TECO in C for VAX/VMS (almost Unix and MS-DOS).

[.VMS...]	Teco stuff from a VMS SIG CD-Rom disc, 1984-1987.

[.UTECO]	Matt Fichtenbaum's TECO in C (Jul 89) for Ultrix and SunOS.

[.YMILES]	Ya'akov Miles's TECO in C v1.04 (12 Jun 88) for MS-DOS.

	Things that didn't make it into the collection but may be added later
include:

	1. A video TECO in C that executes TECO commands immediately on
	   the screen.
	2. A preprocessor that reads a structured language and produces TECO
	3. Another TECO in C
	4. A TECO in 6502 assembly language
	5. TECOC updates to make it work under MS-DOS.

Please send complaints, suggestions, additions, etc. to

						Pete Siemsen
						645 Ohio Ave. #302
						Long Beach, Ca.  90814

						(213) 433-3059  (home)
						(213) 743-0731  (work)
						Internet: siemsen@usc.edu

jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) (12/08/89)

Thanks to everybody who replied.  Several asked for a pointer to what
I found... here's where I got a copy.  (Thanks, Nelson!)

< From: "Nelson H.F. Beebe" <Beebe@science.utah.edu>

< Grab

< PS:<SUBSYS.EMACS-162.INFO>TECORD.INFO.1137;P777752 93 235649(7) 16-Feb-87 14:25:21 BEEBE

< from science.utah.edu.
< -------
--
Jordan Brown
jbrown@jato.jpl.nasa.gov

terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen) (12/29/89)

In article <4331@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi>, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> (wasn't
> the PDP-10 TECO written in something called MIDAS?)

Nope.  Got a listing right here in front of me; good old DEC-10 assembler
(MACRO-10).  Of course, this is version 23 or so.  Now maybe the ORIGINAL
version was done in something other than MACRO-10.  But we're off the
comp.emacs track here ...

Terry R. Friedrichsen
TERRY@SDSC.EDU  (alternate address; I live and work in Tucson)

aej@wpi.wpi.edu (Allan E Johannesen) (12/29/89)

terry> In article <4331@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi>, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
> (wasn't
> the PDP-10 TECO written in something called MIDAS?)

terry> Nope.  Got a listing right here in front of me; good old DEC-10 assembler
terry> (MACRO-10).  Of course, this is version 23 or so.  Now maybe the ORIGINAL
terry> version was done in something other than MACRO-10.  But we're off the
terry> comp.emacs track here ...

emacs was originally written in MIT TECO under ITS (the incompatible
timesharing system) running on KA-10's with VM hacked into the
hardware by MIT.  MIT TECO was written in MIDAS, an MIT assembler for
the PDP-10.  rms was supporting MIT TECO at the time ('72? '73?).

I use MIT TECO to differentiate it from the Digital product, TECO,
written in DEC's assembler, MACRO.  DEC TECO had no chance of giving
birth to emacs.

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (01/03/90)

In article <6427@wpi.wpi.edu>, aej@wpi (Allan E Johannesen) writes:
>emacs was originally written in MIT TECO under ITS (the incompatible
>timesharing system) running on KA-10's with VM hacked into the
>hardware by MIT.  MIT TECO was written in MIDAS, an MIT assembler for
>the PDP-10.  rms was supporting MIT TECO at the time ('72? '73?).
>
>I use MIT TECO to differentiate it from the Digital product, TECO,
>written in DEC's assembler, MACRO.  DEC TECO had no chance of giving
>birth to emacs.

That is right so far.  I think MIDAS and TECO both predate the PDP-10,
actually.  MIDAS was a general-purpose assembler; you could get it to
assemble anything.  I used both on the PDP-1D at BBN when I first
started here; MIDAS was used to assemble programs for the PDP-1,
Honeywell 316/516 (i.e. Arpanet IMP), and Lockheed SUE (Arpanet
Pluribus IMP).  Also, recall that before the PDP-10 DEC was a hardware
company.  TECO probably originated in DECUS before becoming the DEC
Editor for the PDP-10.  I don't know the earlier history of that
strain.

MIT's hardware included a PDP-6 before DEC did the PDP-10.

RMS indeed did a lot of things to ITS TECO in the process of making
the original EMACS.  Essentially, he made it programmable (as opposed
to "capable of executing keyboard macros", which was essentially all
that TECO did).  It is hard, at this point, to say which things were
TECO and which were EMACS; they grew up together through the mid-70's.

I wonder if this belongs in alt.folklore.computers ...
--
/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis

mike@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Mike Haertel) (01/03/90)

In article <1372@sunquest.UUCP> terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen) writes:
>In article <4331@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi>, tml@hemuli.atk.vtt.fi (Tor Lillqvist) writes:
>> (wasn't
>> the PDP-10 TECO written in something called MIDAS?)
>Nope.  Got a listing right here in front of me; good old DEC-10 assembler
>(MACRO-10).  Of course, this is version 23 or so.  Now maybe the ORIGINAL
>version was done in something other than MACRO-10.  But we're off the
>comp.emacs track here ...

MIDAS was the name of the PDP-10 assembler used under ITS.

I once read the MIT TECO source (version 162 I think, probably the
very last version ever (at least on AI)).  It was written for MIDAS.
After the first screen or so of comments it was in ALL CAPS.  Argh.

I don't know how similar MIDAS is to MACRO-10; I think it uses the
same opcode names and addressing mode syntax, but provides additional
macro capabilities.
--
Mike Haertel <mike@ai.mit.edu>
"Of course, we have to keep in mind that this year's Killer Micro