[comp.emacs] Calendar.texinfo problems

anantha%ravi@Sun.COM (Anantha Srirama) (01/03/90)

Has anybody tried to install the texinfo documentation for the calendar.el
package.  I am having problems in doing so, any and all hints/help will
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

	-Anantha-

Anantha Padmanabha N. Srirama		|  USENET:  ...sun!anantha@Eng
Sun Microsystems			|  ARPA:    anantha@Eng.Sun.COM
2550, Garcia Ave.  MS: 16-02		|
Mt. View,  CA-94043			|

jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) (01/03/90)

In article <129791@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, anantha%ravi (Anantha Srirama) writes:
>Has anybody tried to install the texinfo documentation for the calendar.el
>package.  I am having problems in doing so, any and all hints/help will
>be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I have gone through this.  Basically, the file Ed distributed is a
snippet that will be part of the emacs manual next release.  To make
it a stand-alone info file, install the following mods to the
calendar.texinfo file, then add the line to your ...emacs/info/dir
file:

*** emacs/info/dir	Tue Jan  2 13:56:56 1990
--- emacs/info/dir~	Wed Aug 30 22:18:29 1989
***************
*** 22,29 ****

  * VM: (vm).  The VM mail reading system by Kyle Jones.

- * Calendar: (calendar).  The calendar and diary package by Edward Reingold.
-
  * GDB: (gdb).   The source-level C debugger.

  * Texinfo: (texinfo).
--- 22,27 ----

The changes to calendar.texinfo are to rename the first node to Top,
add a little preamble type stuff that texinfo needs, and comment out a
@ref call since my 18.55 texinfo can't cope with it.  After applying
these diffs, visit the calendar.texinfo file.  Run
texinfo-format-buffer, and save the resulting file as
...emacs/info/calendar.  The above menu entry in the top-level dir
will provide a pointer to it in info mode.  Enjoy!

*** calendar.texinfo	Tue Jan  2 15:42:46 1990
--- /tmp/foo	Tue Jan  2 15:37:56 1990
***************
*** 1,8 ****
! \input texinfo			@c -*- infosim -*-
! @setfilename /usr/local/emacs/info/calendar
! @settitle Calendar
!
! @node Top, , , (DIR)
  @section Calendar Mode and the Diary
  @cindex calendar
  @findex calendar
--- 1,4 ----
! @node Calendar
  @section Calendar Mode and the Diary
  @cindex calendar
  @findex calendar
***************
*** 24,30 ****
  * Customizing Calendar:: Altering the behavior of the features above.
  @end menu

! @node Calendar Motion, Scroll Calendar, Top, Top
  @subsection Movement in the Calendar

    You can move through the calendar from the current date to other
--- 20,26 ----

! @node Calendar Motion, Scroll Calendar, Calendar, Calendar
  @subsection Movement in the Calendar

    You can move through the calendar from the current date to other
***************
*** 142,148 ****
  repeat count indicating how many weeks, months, or years to move backward
  or forward.

! @node Scroll Calendar, Misc Calendar, Calendar Motion, Top
  @subsection Scrolling the Calendar through Time

    The calendar display scrolls automatically through time when you move out
--- 138,144 ----

! @node Scroll Calendar, Misc Calendar, Calendar Motion, Calendar
  @subsection Scrolling the Calendar through Time

    The calendar display scrolls automatically through time when you move out
***************
*** 191,197 ****
  automatically as necessary to ensure that the date you have moved to
  is visible.

! @node Misc Calendar, Holidays, Scroll Calendar, Top
  @subsection Miscellaneous Calendar Commands

  @table @kbd
--- 187,193 ----

! @node Misc Calendar, Holidays, Scroll Calendar, Calendar
  @subsection Miscellaneous Calendar Commands

  @table @kbd
***************
*** 231,237 ****
  buffers related to the calendar will be deleted and the window display
  will return to what it was when you entered the calendar.

! @node Holidays, Other Calendars, Misc Calendar, Top
  @subsection Holidays
  @cindex holidays

--- 227,233 ----
  buffers related to the calendar will be deleted and the window display
  will return to what it was when you entered the calendar.

! @node Holidays, Other Calendars, Misc Calendar, Calendar
  @subsection Holidays
  @cindex holidays

***************
*** 297,303 ****
  find out how, use @kbd{C-h v calendar-holiday-list @key{RET}} after
  entering the calendar.@refill

! @node Other Calendars, Diary, Holidays, Top
  @subsection Our Calendar and Other Calendars

    The Emacs calendar displayed is always the Gregorian calendar, sometimes
--- 293,299 ----

! @node Other Calendars, Diary, Holidays, Calendar
  @subsection Our Calendar and Other Calendars

    The Emacs calendar displayed is always the Gregorian calendar, sometimes
***************
*** 359,365 ****
  authorities, not on calculations.  As a consequence, the actual dates of
  occurrence can vary slightly from the dates computed by Emacs.

! @node Diary, Diary File, Other Calendars, Top
  @subsection The Diary
  @cindex diary

--- 355,361 ----
  authorities, not on calculations.  As a consequence, the actual dates of
  occurrence can vary slightly from the dates computed by Emacs.

! @node Diary, Diary File, Other Calendars, Calendar
  @subsection The Diary
  @cindex diary

***************
*** 408,414 ****
  appear next to the dates to which they apply.  The @kbd{m} command affects
  the dates currently visible and, if you scroll the calendar, newly visible
  dates as well.  The @kbd{u} command deletes all diary marks (and all
! holiday marks too; see @@ref{Holidays}), not only in the dates currently
  visible, but dates that become visible when you scroll the calendar.

  @kindex s (Calendar mode)
--- 404,410 ----
  appear next to the dates to which they apply.  The @kbd{m} command affects
  the dates currently visible and, if you scroll the calendar, newly visible
  dates as well.  The @kbd{u} command deletes all diary marks (and all
! holiday marks too; see @ref{Holidays}), not only in the dates currently
  visible, but dates that become visible when you scroll the calendar.

  @kindex s (Calendar mode)
***************
*** 449,455 ****
  (diary)
  @end example

! @node Diary File, Customizing Calendar, Diary, Top
  @subsection The Diary File
  @cindex diary file

--- 445,451 ----
  (diary)
  @end example

! @node Diary File, Customizing Calendar, Diary, Calendar
  @subsection The Diary File
  @cindex diary file

***************
*** 572,578 ****
  same file for the @code{calendar} utility program since the formats
  are consistent.

! @node Customizing Calendar,, Diary File, Top
  @subsection Customizing the Calendar and Diary

  @vindex view-diary-entries-initially
--- 568,574 ----

! @node Customizing Calendar,, Diary File, Calendar

--
/jr, nee John Robinson     Life did not take over the globe by combat,
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr          but by networking -- Lynn Margulis

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (01/04/90)

In article <50292@bbn.COM> jr@bbn.com (John Robinson) writes:

> The changes to calendar.texinfo are to rename the first node to Top,
> add a little preamble type stuff that texinfo needs, and comment out a
> @ref call since my 18.55 texinfo can't cope with it.

Change:

  holiday marks too; see @ref{Holidays}), not only in the dates currently

  holiday marks too; @pxref{Holidays}), not only in the dates currently

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv