[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs on NCR tower 32/600

sitaram@quintus.UUCP (Sitaram Muralidhar) (01/03/90)

Has anyone out there been successful at getting GNU Emacs (18.54)
to work on the Tower 32/600 running version 3.0 or later of the O.S ?
Version 3.0 is a derivative of SYS V.3.

Thanks.

Sitaram Muralidhar
Quintus Computer Systems, Inc.,
1310 Villa Street,
Mountain View, Ca 94041.
(415)-965-7700
sitaram@quintus.com
sun!quintus!sitaram

bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) (01/03/90)

Who the heck has OS 3.0 ?  We have OS 2.01.00, I thought it was
the latest NCR OS release (except for some minor patches/updates) !

I'd like more info, Please.  If there really is such
an animal, I'd like to get it for our department.

BTW, NCR *does* have an OS version 3.x,
but it is for the Tower XP, not the 32/600 ...

Art Neilson
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root

nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) (01/04/90)

In article <5879@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s10@uhccux.UUCP (Carl "Art" McIntosh) writes:
>Who the heck has OS 3.0 ?  We have OS 2.01.00, I thought it was
>the latest NCR OS release (except for some minor patches/updates) !
>
>Art Neilson

Yes Virginia, there is a Release 3.0 of SysV :-). In fact, from the
rumors I've heard, it's supposed to conform to AT&T's Rel 3.

Our sales rep. offered it to us in September of 1989, but since at that
point the TCP/IP product WIN/TCP (by the folks at Wollongong) had not been
released, we couldn't use it. That's the last I've heard of it from our
sales rep. although I did see machines allegedly running it at the Unix Expo
(and running X too!).

If any of the NCR people who read the group can offer more information about
the release of this product I (and many others I'm sure) would like to hear
about it. This product, so far as I know is intended for the Tower 32 line.

Nicholas Jacobs
+-----------------------+----------------------------+----------------------+
| UUCP: uunet!toro!nick | Internet: nick@toro.uu.net | AT&T: (212) 236-3230 |
+-----------------------+----------------------------+----------------------+
"Disclaimer? The legal fees are probably more than my annual salary..."

harrys@tons61.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (01/04/90)

In article <5879@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s10@uhccux.UUCP (Carl "Art" McIntosh) writes:
>Who the heck has OS 3.0 ?  We have OS 2.01.00, I thought it was
>the latest NCR OS release (except for some minor patches/updates) !
>
>Art Neilson
>Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
>ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root@trout.nosc.mil
>UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root

2.03 exists (SYS V 2.x/3.0 equiv).  It was on my machine when I left my
last Co. in April 1989. Word has it it that 3.0 was available Sept of 89.
Word from NCR (at the time) that there were some major bugs with it on
the tower.

2.03 was bad enough...patch level 10 made some for some great  performance!
Check with your local NCR rep or call the Hotline for more details. They can
redirect you to a product distribution center to order it.

[ information as of 4/89 - may not be accurate due to time of leave ]
--
Harry Skelton - Senior Systems Administrator - U.S. Dept. of Transportation
   ..!attctc!tons61!harrys ..!obdient!tons61!harrys ..!tfd!tons61!harrys