[comp.emacs] Gosling Emacs?

Jeff Russ <russ@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (01/11/90)

A user on my system wants to run gosling emacs instead of gnu emacs.
How does it differ from gnu emacs and where can I get the source code?
Also, does anyone know of any articles or books that describe the
different versions of emacs? Thanks for any information.

				Jeff Russ
				University Computing Services
				Indiana University
				Bloomington, IN 47405-4801

				russ@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
				BITNET: russ@iubacs
				PHONE: (812) 855-2733

mayer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Mayer Goldberg) (01/11/90)

Hi Russ!
We have gosemacs on iuvax.

To anyone out there: I would like a manual for gosemacs, and a manual
for mocklisp (the lisp it's sitting on). Does anyone have a copy I
could ftp?

Mayer Goldberg
mayer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

amoss@batata.Huji.AC.IL (amos shapira) (01/15/90)

russ@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Russ) writes:

>A user on my system wants to run gosling emacs instead of gnu emacs.
>How does it differ from gnu emacs and where can I get the source code?
>Also, does anyone know of any articles or books that describe the
>different versions of emacs? Thanks for any information.

First, there is a gosling-emacs emulation mode in GNU emacs, run
set-gosmacs-bindings, you better convince your user to try this, it
will save you a lot of trouble mintaining gosling emacs, which I consider
as obsolate (although I'm using it right now to write this message :-).

Second, in the GNU emacs distribution directory there should be a file
called GOSDIFF (I think) which describes the differences between the
two version.

Just last one note, from using both versions, I first didn't like GNU emacs
just because I was used to gosling, with all it's quircks (sp?), but now
I'm just dieing to get some space to install GNU Emacs on my main machine.

- Amos Shapira

amoss@batata.bitnet
amoss@batata.huji.ac.il