[comp.emacs] Looking for a macro-processor in Elisp

alien@uk.ac.essex.ese (Adrian F. Clark) (01/18/90)

I'm looking for some sort of macro-processor written in Elisp.
Ideally, it would be something which could do recursive expansions in
the TeX (as opposed to M4) style, but I'd be grateful for anything.
(My aim is to use it to translate a generic markup scheme for
documentation into LaTeX/[nt]roff/runoff, etc.)

I read in a BibTeX style file that someone has written a version of
the C preprocessor in Elisp, but I've been unable to contact its author.
If anyone has this, it would be a good starting point.

Many thanks.

 Adrian F. Clark
 JANET: alien@uk.ac.essex.ese   ARPA: alien%uk.ac.essex.ese@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 BITNET: alien%uk.ac.essex.ese@ac.uk          PHONE: (+44) 206-872432 (direct)
 Dept ESE, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, C04 3SQ, UK.

enag@slembe.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (01/19/90)

In article <2935@servax0.essex.ac.uk> alien@uk.ac.essex.ese (Adrian F. Clark) writes:
> (My aim is to use it to translate a generic markup scheme for
> documentation into LaTeX/[nt]roff/runoff, etc.)

Which reminds me...

Is anyone out there working with SGML and Emacs?  I imagine it could
be useful to teach GNU Emacs about SGML document structure and insert
document types, tags and entities from lists of each, to have an
active syntax (and perhaps some semantics) checking while writing.
Modifying fill-paragraph to understand specific tags would also be
helpful.

I'm still too new to SGML to write this myself, so if anybody is
already working on it, or have something finished, it would be very
nice to know about it.

Perhaps a GNU Emacs-Lisp-based package to translate SGML documents
into your favorite specific markup language (TeX, troff, script, ...)?

Just another idea...
[Erik]