[comp.emacs] GNU emacs apropos is NOT too slow

andreasg@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Andreas Girgensohn) (02/05/90)

In article <47290@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>P.P.S.  One particular complaint about GNU Emacs 18.55 (and all previous
>    versions that I've used): the apropos command is nearly useless.  It
>    takes far to long to operate even on the fastest machines.  When I
>    use apropos in jove the first screen full of information is out almost
>    immediately after I type the return.  Grumble, grumble ...  (If you
>    decide to follow this point up you should probably change the subject
>    to something like ``GNU emacs apropos is too slow.'')

I disagree.  I'm using GNU Emacs 18.55 on a DEC station.  Apropos took less
than 2 seconds even for keywords like "indent".  There was no delay at all for
keywords with less information (e.g., "print").

Andreas Girgensohn
andreasg@boulder.colorado.edu

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (02/05/90)

In article <47290@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>P.P.S.  One particular complaint about GNU Emacs 18.55 (and all previous
>    versions that I've used): the apropos command is nearly useless.  It
>    takes far to long to operate even on the fastest machines.  When I
>    use apropos in jove the first screen full of information is out almost
>    immediately after I type the return.  Grumble, grumble ...  (If you
>    decide to follow this point up you should probably change the subject
>    to something like ``GNU emacs apropos is too slow.'')

I disagree with this.  GNU emacs apropos is acceptible on my UNIXPC and
SUN 3/50.  It is slower than JOVE, but there are a lot more commands too.
I'll take the loss in speed for the gain in flexibility.

--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
A computer which cannot run GNU emacs is not worth using.