[comp.emacs] GNU Emacs size

jaz@calvin (02/06/90)

I have to agree with ??? in article 7060 regarding the size of
GNU emacs. When you are running under a window system like X, I don't
think you really need the debugger, news, and mail in your editor.
They should at least be options.

In addition, the linker is explicitly called with -Bstatic. On my
Sparcstation, the executable is about 1.4MB.

-jaz

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (02/06/90)

In article <1009@abvax.UUCP>, jaz@calvin writes:
> I have to agree with ??? in article 7060 regarding the size of
> GNU emacs. When you are running under a window system like X, I don't
> think you really need the debugger, news, and mail in your editor.
> They should at least be options.

All of those things are already optional. Just don't load up temacs with
all those stuff, and call them only when used. Ver. 19 and epoch to a
certain degree should satisfy most X-Window system users' biggest
complaint of size because they have multiple X-Window support. If you
don't like the Zippy quotes, just kill them out of the etc directory and
get rid of the yow elisp files. I like the fact that EMACS comes shipped
with just about everything a person could want and lets the system
administrator install what he likes.

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ second choice:                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (02/07/90)

| From: woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan)
|
| I like the fact that EMACS comes shipped with just about everything a
| person could want and lets the system administrator install what he likes.

  Except that most system administrators are hard pressed for time and
can't take the time to peruse through all of GNU Emacs 10Mb of source to
determine what is and what isn't reasonable to have in a system editor.

  I'm really not advocating throwing all the gunk away, I'd just like it
separated out and, if possible, convince GNU to move it off to an
entirely separate distribution tree.  I'd like to pick up a GNU emacs
distribution and only get a system editor.  Not 3Mb of randomness (a
guess) plus a debugger.  If I want the 3Mb of randomness or the debugger,
I can pick up those trees separately and do a (make; make install; make
clean) in their directories.

Casey

pierson@encore.com (Dan L. Pierson) (02/08/90)

   From: casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom)
   Date: 6 Feb 90 23:17:36 GMT

     I'm really not advocating throwing all the gunk away, I'd just like it
   separated out and, if possible, convince GNU to move it off to an
   entirely separate distribution tree.  I'd like to pick up a GNU emacs
   distribution and only get a system editor.  Not 3Mb of randomness (a
   guess) plus a debugger.  If I want the 3Mb of randomness or the debugger,
   I can pick up those trees separately and do a (make; make install; make
   clean) in their directories.

But what is junk?  If we agree for the sake of argument that an
obsolete version of gdb, zippy and friends, and the sex man pages are
junk there is still a very large questionable area.

Many people would claim that most of the *.el files in the lisp
directory are junk.  While I have removed these for *very* memory
tight installations, I disagree strongly.  The *.el files are needed
in a decent installation for at least two reasons: they are the only
decent documentation for many facilities, and they are needed as a
base for user customization and extension.

Other people claim that the the on line manual is junk.  Again, I
disagree.
--

                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@encore.com

kim@spock (Kim Letkeman) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb19.202545.20734@hayes.fai.alaska.edu>, wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
| In article <JBW.90Feb17121744@bucsf.bu.edu>, jbw@bucsf (Joe Wells) writes:
| >Emacs linked with SunView support tends to have sizes between 1200K and
| >1500K.  Emacs linked with X Window support tends to have sizes between 500K
| >and 600K.
|
| And Emacs linked with both...
|
| -rwxr-xr-t  1 root     staff     1552384 Feb 19 11:14 /usr/local/bin/emacs*

And emacs if it were 10 times bigger ...

-rwxr-xr-t  1 root     staff    15523840 Feb 19 11:14 /usr/local/bin/emacs*

and 100 times bigger ...

-rwxr-xr-t  1 root     staff   155238400 Feb 19 11:14 /usr/local/bin/emacs*

But then ... no one is reading this thread any more anyway ...
--
Kim Letkeman    uunet!mitel!spock!kim