[comp.emacs] Buffer Processing

gtravan@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (George Travan) (03/01/90)

Suns Mailtool has an option to pipe the mail buffer contents. i use this to
postprocess mail via a pretty printer in suntools. it would be nice though
to do this in GNUS and RMAIL. presently, the only way i see to do this in
emacs is to output the file in Unix format and then enter a shell to set
up the command.

is there an easier way to do this ? the c-o and then within a shell
   cat unixfile > prettyprint | lpr &

any ideas appreciated..

George Travan
University of Adelaide
Box 498 G.P.O	                   gtravan@sirius.ua.oz.au
Adelaide,AUSTRALIA         e_mail: george@frodo.ua.oz.au

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (03/01/90)

(defun pretty-print-buffer ()
   (interactive)
   (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max)
                            "prettyprint | lpr" nil))
mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

nhess@dvlseq.oracle.com (Nate Hess) (03/01/90)

In article <782@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, gtravan@ucs (George Travan) writes:
>Suns Mailtool has an option to pipe the mail buffer contents. i use this to
>postprocess mail via a pretty printer in suntools. it would be nice though
>to do this in GNUS and RMAIL.

I would recommend using the `shell-command-on-region' command, bound to
`M-|' by default.  You can use `C-x h' to mark the whole buffer.

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

nhess@oracle.com or ...!uunet!oracle!nhess or (415) 598-3046

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (03/02/90)

[Query about sending articles (in gnus) or mail messages (in RMAIL)
to a process instead of a file.]

In gnus, try the '|' key, which is bound to gnus-Subject-pipe-output:
Pipe this article to subprocess.

Apparently RMAIL doesn't have this, but you can use M-| on the article
buffer.

=S
--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)