[comp.emacs] problem using build.com. . .

mriley@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Michael R Riley) (03/04/90)

I'm trying to get emacs up and running on one of our systems, but I'm running
into a snag in the "build.com" file.

		Wharton VAX 8700
		VAX/VMS 4.7

		$@build
		New Emacs version will be 18.55.10
problem--->	Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"

I'm not sure what is causing this error.  I was able to comment out "files"
and "abbrevs" so that emacs would run, but it's sort of useless without
them...I looked through files.el, but my lisp is rusty at best...
Any help would be appreciated. . .

Thanks,

mriley@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
riley@wharton.upenn.edu
mriley@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
riley@wharton.upenn.edu
		                 "That's your mom." (The "dude" is assumed)

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (03/05/90)

Michael R Riley writes:
 > I'm trying to get emacs up and running on one of our systems, but I'm
 > running into a snag in the "build.com" file.
 >
 > 		$@build
 > 		New Emacs version will be 18.55.10
 > [...]
 > problem--->	Invalid read syntax: ". in wrong context"

I ran into this problem while helping a VMS admin install Emacs.  The
problem was that the byte-compiled version of files.el (files.elc) had
been corrupted.  Other .elc files may have been corrupted as well, but
we didn't bother checking; we just recompiled all the Lisp files.  If
you don't want to recompile all that stuff you should be able to get by
with just deleting files.elc.  Emacs will use files.el instead.