[comp.emacs] Making BS = erase.

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Bob Powell) (03/06/90)

Situation: calling in from home, using a terminal with no
"delete" key.  I've got a backspace key, though, and
<CTRL><BACKSPACE> apparently sends the needed code to
equal a "true" delete.  In the basic Unix, I can use
stty erase '^H' and the backspace key, by itself,
will back up and delete the character.  Emacs, though,
doesn't recognize that I've done the stty in Unix,
and demands the <CTRL><BACKSPACE> to back up and erase.

Is there any entry I can make in my .login, .cshrc,
or .emacs files to get emacs to accept the backspace,
by itself, as a "normal" delete key?

Thanks a bunch!
Bob

krulwich@ils.nwu.edu (Bruce Krulwich) (03/07/90)

In article <22573@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, rlp@beach (Bob Powell) writes:
>Is there any entry I can make in my .login, .cshrc,
>or .emacs files to get emacs to accept the backspace,
>by itself, as a "normal" delete key?

Try:

(global-set-key "" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

Or maybe BACKWARD-DELETE-CHAR if you don't want it to untabify.

Bruce