[comp.emacs] setting tabs in freemacs

baileyc@boulder.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) (04/10/90)

How do I set the default tabs for Freemacs to 4 spaces instead of 8???

I am not a very experiences emacs user, so I need it pretty step by step.
Thanks!
Chris Bailey :: baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU
One Agro Mountain Biker - Dialed in for ultra gonzo badness!
"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government" - RUSH
Member of Team Buck Naked of Buckingham Palace

In article <19460@boulder.Colorado.EDU> baileyc@boulder.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:

   How do I set the default tabs for Freemacs to 4 spaces instead of 8???

   I am not a very experiences emacs user, so I need it pretty step by step.

You could mean two things by this: the way tabs are presented on screen,
or the way C mode indents.  For the former, use M-x edit-options to
change F-tab-columns.  For the latter, I stupidly didn't make it a
variable.  First you have to get C-mode loaded by loading any C file.
Then you need to change Ctabs using M-x ef Ctabs.  Make it look like this:

Name:Ctabs
Some stuff here I can't remember (the documentation)
[*]    [*]

The important part is the four spaces between the [*]'s.
-russ
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (04/10/90)

In article <19460@boulder.Colorado.EDU>,
baileyc@boulder.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:
>How do I set the default tabs for Freemacs to 4 spaces instead of 8???

Assuming you are using 1.6a (I don't remember if this worked with
previous versions) type

Esc X edit-tab-stops

You will be presented with a window which shows the current tab
stops as : characters. Just put these where you like and type C-c
C-c to read the new set in, and you are done.

You probably need to type

Esc X save-all-libs

to make this permanent

Richard Stanton