[comp.emacs] Is Epoch hogging the CPU?

page@Eng.Sun.COM (Bob Page) (06/06/90)

Running 'top' shows that Epoch is constantly running, using 90% of the
available CPU.  Is this epoch itself or some elisp package I might
be using?  [just vm and gnus]

..bob
--
Bob Page	Sun Microsystems, Inc.		page@eng.sun.com

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) (06/06/90)

In article <PAGE.90Jun5135925@swap.Eng.Sun.COM>, page@Eng.Sun.COM (Bob Page) writes:
> Running 'top' shows that Epoch is constantly running, using 90% of the
> available CPU.  Is this epoch itself or some elisp package I might
> be using?  [just vm and gnus]

You probably have an epoch process left around from an earlier session.
I've had this problem too.  It seems that for some reason it doesn't die
when it loses it's connection to the X server.

--
Tom Weinstein
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems

hiura@Sun.COM (Hideki Hiura) (06/06/90)

In article <PAGE.90Jun5135925@swap.Eng.Sun.COM> page@Eng.Sun.COM (Bob Page) writes:
> Running 'top' shows that Epoch is constantly running, using 90% of the
> available CPU.  Is this epoch itself or some elisp package I might
> be using?  [just vm and gnus]

No.
This problem was already fixed shortly after the initial release.
You just got them too early.
I installed latest version of Epoch on sun-3/4 running SunOS-4.0.3
and it works pretty fine.
You can get them from me if you like.

--
Hideki HIURA, hhiura@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc. Mountain View, CA.

neil@yc.estec.nl (Neil Dixon) (06/08/90)

Page) writes:
|>> Running 'top' shows that Epoch is constantly running, using 90% of the
|>> available CPU.
|>
|>You probably have an epoch process left around from an earlier session.
|>I've had this problem too.  It seems that for some reason it doesn't die
|>when it loses it's connection to the X server.

Iconizing the minibuffer window also seems to cause epoch to eat CPU time

Neil Dixon <neil@yc.estec.nl> UUCP:...!mcvax!esatst!neil, BITNET: NDIXON@ESTEC
Thermal Control & Life Support Division (YC)
European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC),
Noordwijk, The Netherlands.