[net.unix-wizards] requests

unix-wizards-request%brl-tgr@tgr.UUCP (12/19/84)

All pending subscription requests have been processed.
Sorry for any delays;  I've been traveling quite a bit lately.
	-Mike

brolsma@bbn-spca.arpa (Bruce Brolsma) (04/15/86)

> ...we should punish the offendors so horribly that word of what
> happens to you when you do this will become instant network folklore.
> I used to send such pinheads a few megabytes of mail manually, but
> maybe a tool that sends them 253 copies of SF-LOVERS every hour for
> three weeks is the right thing.

Now, these things couldn't POSSIBLY happen because netmail address
paths seem abstruse and impenetrable, especially to newcomers,
could they????

The half-second it takes me to discard such messages doesn't particularly
bother me, perhaps because I am inclined to be merciful toward most
everyone.  It's a bit like sex education; after the fact punishment
ain't gonna do all that much to alleviate the problem.

Each netmailer need make such mistakes only once or twice if, in reply, they
received a canned tutorial on the constituate parts of netdom, pathnames,
list-of-lists, requests, etc., etc.  I've not seen such a summary available
for distribution, but I'd sure like to see one.

chuq%plaid@sun.com (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/15/86)

>> ...we should punish the offendors so horribly that word of what
>> happens to you when you do this will become instant network folklore.
>> I used to send such pinheads a few megabytes of mail manually, but
>> maybe a tool that sends them 253 copies of SF-LOVERS every hour for
>> three weeks is the right thing.

What is the purpose of flaming to death a person WHO DOESN'T KNOW BETTER?
I'm not saying that the protocols, procedures and folklore of the net (whether
ARPA or USENET) are arcane or confusing -- especially to those who have
learned the ropes.  Remember, you were a novice once, yourself.

Flaming someone for screwing up doesn't solve the problem. Information solves
the problem.  In all my time working with USENET, only rarely did I see
a person or account repeat a mistake. Reacting to a misplaced message like
it was a personal affront only causes the new users (new blood and ideas
we can ALWAYS use to keep the groups fresh) the withdraw and decide we're
all a bunch of idiots (or worse).  The over-reaction is MUCH worse than
the crime.

> Each netmailer need make such mistakes only once or twice if, in reply,
> they received a canned tutorial on the constituate parts of netdom,
> pathnames, list-of-lists, requests, etc., etc.  I've not seen such a
> summary available for distribution, but I'd sure like to see one.

Good information is key.  A couple of years back (was it that long ago,
already?) I rewrote the etiquette doc for USENET.  Perhaps what we need
is something similar for ARPA lists, so that when someone does screw up
we have a concise and non-flaming resource to help them keep from screwing
up twice.

chuq

mlaufer@bbncct.arpa (04/16/86)

>From:     Bruce Brolsma <brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA>

>> ...we should punish the offendors so horribly that word of what
>> happens to you when you do this will become instant network folklore.
>> I used to send such pinheads a few megabytes of mail manually, but
>> maybe a tool that sends them 253 copies of SF-LOVERS every hour for
>> three weeks is the right thing.

>Each netmailer need make such mistakes only once or twice if, in reply, they
>received a canned tutorial on the constituate parts of netdom, pathnames,
>list-of-lists, requests, etc., etc.  I've not seen such a summary available
>for distribution, but I'd sure like to see one.

This is a very good idea.  An even better one is to have this tutorial given
to ALL NEW USERS on the internet.  It should be given TO the local systems
administrator and BY them to all new account holders as part of their computer
account information.  This will have the added benifit of exposing more people
to what is available "out here" in netland as well as net etiquette and
proceedures.

Michael

tewok@umcp-cs.UUCP (Wayne Morrison) (04/17/86)

In article <49@brl-smoke.ARPA> mlaufer@bbncct.arpa (Michael Laufer) writes:
>>From:     Bruce Brolsma <brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA>

>>> ...we should punish the offendors so horribly that word of what
>>> happens to you when you do this will become instant network folklore.
>>> I used to send such pinheads a few megabytes of mail manually, but
>>> maybe a tool that sends them 253 copies of SF-LOVERS every hour for
>>> three weeks is the right thing.
>
>>Each netmailer need make such mistakes only once or twice if, in reply, they
>>received a canned tutorial on the constituate parts of netdom, pathnames,
>>list-of-lists, requests, etc., etc.  I've not seen such a summary available
>>for distribution, but I'd sure like to see one.

Forgive me my ignorance and bad memory, but what exactly did this guy do?
I remember getting it, but I don't remember his original mail.  Could someone
please tell me what has angered someone so much, please?

"I love the feel of plastic.  It makes me hot!!!"	- T. J. Tarou

	Wayne Morrison				ARPA: tewok@brillig
	Parallel Computation Lab		UUCP: seismo!umcp-cs!tewok
	University of Maryland
	(301)454-7690

JHodges@ddn2.arpa (04/19/86)

I second the motion for a summary of the parts of netdom,
pathnames, list-of-lists, etc.  Basically, a short discussion of
how to get added to lists, whom to ask for information when you
can't seem to find it in the logical places, etc.

FLAMING serves no purpose in this instance!
How would Noel like to receive SF-LOVERS for three weeks???
That does not solve the problem!

Jim

dewitt@cca.UUCP (Mark DeWitt) (04/20/86)

In article <> mlaufer@bbncct.arpa writes:
>>From:     Bruce Brolsma <brolsma@BBN-SPCA.ARPA>
>
>>Each netmailer need make such mistakes only once or twice if, in reply, they
>>received a canned tutorial on the constituate parts of netdom, pathnames,
>>list-of-lists, requests, etc., etc.  I've not seen such a summary available
>>for distribution, but I'd sure like to see one.
>
>This is a very good idea.  An even better one is to have this tutorial given
>to ALL NEW USERS on the internet... <etc>

Anyone who contributes to the net and who has not familiarized {him,her}self
with the info in net.announce.newusers should do so pronto, Tonto. 'Nuf sed.
--
"We like your attitude, but what are you doing?"