[comp.emacs] really easy question

bagchi@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (07/06/90)

	How do I set the default font for emacs when I bring it up on
an X terminal?  Alternately, how does emacs know that it is running in
an X environment, so I can write some simple emacs lisp that doesn't
hang when I dial in on my vt100?

	-rj
	bagchi@eecs.umich.edu

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (07/06/90)

In article <2863@zipeecs.umich.edu> bagchi@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:
   How do I set the default font for emacs when I bring it up on an X
   terminal?

My X environment contains some resources like:

*Font:			-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*

emacs*BorderWidth:	2
#ifdef COLOR
emacs*Foreground:	NavyBlue
emacs*Background:	wheat
emacs*Border:		sienna
emacs*Cursor:		DarkOrchid
emacs*Mouse:		orange
#endif

(pretty hideous, huh? you can tell I live in monochrome day-to-day :-)

Emacs supports the following resources:
	bodyfont
	bitmapicon
	borderwidth
	internalborder
	foregrounddd
	background
	border
	cursor
	mouse
	reversevideo

Or you could specify the -font switch on the command line.

   Alternately, how does emacs know that it is running in an X
   environment, so I can write some simple emacs lisp that doesn't
   hang when I dial in on my vt100?

The same as any other X application:  It looks for the DISPLAY
environment variable or a -d command line switch.  To play with fonts
from your LISP code, use (x-set-font).  Look at src/x11* and
lisp/term/x*.el for examples.

(... This all assumes you mean GNU Emacs and not some other ...)

himacdon@maytag.uwaterloo.ca (Hamish Macdonald) (07/07/90)

>    Alternately, how does emacs know that it is running in an X
>    environment, so I can write some simple emacs lisp that doesn't
>    hang when I dial in on my vt100?

Bob> The same as any other X application: It looks for the DISPLAY
Bob> environment variable or a -d command line switch.  To play with
Bob> fonts from your LISP code, use (x-set-font).  Look at src/x11*
Bob> and lisp/term/x*.el for examples.

How about the variable 'window-system which is the symbol 'x if it is
running under X, and nil if running on an ordinary terminal.

himacdonald@maytag.uwaterloo.ca           watmath!maytag!himacdonald
"Guns seldom solve any problems; they merely decide whose will shall
prevail for the time being."      - Brian Jarvis