[comp.emacs] documentation for MicroEmacs 3.10

jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) (07/22/90)

   I am trying to get MicroEmacs 3.10 working on various machines.  Included
with the source are 2 files which are the documentation in different forms.
One is emacs.txt which is just a straight ASCII file with the lines and pages
padded with spaces and empty lines.  This might print out OK but if it doesn't
I'll have many, many pages of garbage.  The other file is emacs.mss, this
appears to be the input to some form of word processor or text formatter.  Does
anyone know what this file is for and if so can I produce a postscript file
from it.

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Jonathan

--

Jonathan Sivier
jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (07/22/90)

>I'll have many, many pages of garbage.  The other file is emacs.mss, this
>appears to be the input to some form of word processor or text formatter.  Does
>anyone know what this file is for and if so can I produce a postscript file
>from it.

What is the world coming to...... .mss usually denotes a Scribe file.
The author of MicroEmacs has apparently been working on a Scribe clone,
which he's been calling MicroScribe.  I warned him that the "Scribe" has
been fiercely defended in the past and that he should call it something
else, but mail to him seems to either not get through or be ingnored.

As I remember, the .mss file above didn't want to work quite as is with
Scribe -- I had to tweak it.  There's nothing terribly complicated in it,
though, so you should be able to do regexp replaces or such to convert it
to some other formatter.

--

nelson@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (J. Nelson Howell) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul21.191234.26350@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jsivier@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathon Sivier ) writes:

>   I am trying to get MicroEmacs 3.10 working on various machines.  Included
>with the source are 2 files which are the documentation in different forms.
>One is emacs.txt which is just a straight ASCII file with the lines and pages
>padded with spaces and empty lines.  This might print out OK but if it doesn't
>I'll have many, many pages of garbage.  The other file is emacs.mss, this
>appears to be the input to some form of word processor or text formatter.  Does
>anyone know what this file is for and if so can I produce a postscript file
>from it.

The documentation for MicroEMACS was written using FinalWord.  I don't
know for sure, but I believe there is a PostScript driver out there
somewhere for this package.  The .TXT file should be a processed (to ASCII)
version of the .MSS file.

J. Nelson Howell                       | System Programmer
nelson@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu  Internet | Krannert Graduate School of Management
NELSON@PURCCVM                BITNET   | Purdue University