[net.unix-wizards] communications questions

hedrick@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (04/17/86)

We are trying to set up a Sun 3 as a "communications server".  We want
it to do the following:
  - handle UUCP mail for all of the machines on our Ethernet
  - interface between Ethernet and BITnet
  - handle various network servers and daemons.
We have reason to think that what we are trying to do is possible, but
I am finding it hard to issue actual purchase orders for a couple of
the pieces.  I'd be curious if anyone knows what pieces we would
need for the following:
  - interface to BITnet.  This requires us to talk to an IBM
	machine as if we were an IBM host.  We believe UREP from
	Penn State will do this, and we have ordering information
	for it.  However we don't know whether anyone has used
	this on a Sun.  It needs to talk to a synchronous line
	using bisync.  Does anyone know that this has been done,
	or have a suggestion for a way to support a high-speed
	bisync line on a Sun?  (Sun has a Hasp RJE product, but
	we don't want to emulate a card reader.  It is not clear
	whether we can use just the lower level of this product
	to implement UREP.
  - Arpanet interface.  Does anyone have a Sun on the Arpanet?
	What 1822 interface do you use?  What  1822 device
	driver/software?

mac@tflop.UUCP (Mike Mc Namara) (04/22/86)

In article <4783@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> hedrick@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>We are trying to set up a Sun 3 as a "communications server".  We want
>it to do the following:
>  - handle UUCP mail for all of the machines on our Ethernet
>  - interface between Ethernet and BITnet
>  - handle various network servers and daemons.
>We have reason to think that what we are trying to do is possible, but
>I am finding it hard to issue actual purchase orders for a couple of
>the pieces.  I'd be curious if anyone knows what pieces we would
>need for the following:
>  - interface to BITnet.  This requires us to talk to an IBM
>	.....It needs to talk to a synchronous line
>	using bisync.  Does anyone know that this has been done,
>	or have a suggestion for a way to support a high-speed
>	bisync line on a Sun?  (Sun has a Hasp RJE product, but
>	we don't want to emulate a card reader.  It is not clear
>	whether we can use just the lower level of this product
>	to implement UREP.

	In SUN's catalyst book (available from your local salesman, I'm sure)
	they list a number of SUN <-> SNA interfaces that work at various levels.
	(3270, 3770)  plus a bunch of other interfaces from SUN to just about
	everything. (catalyst is a forum sponsered by sun to advertise your device
	that makes suns work better, be you device software, hardware, firmware or
	underware...  If you are doing things with suns (perferably w/ underware)
	you should check it out, 'cause you can get discounts on Sun equip.
	if you advertise in Catalyst)

>  - Arpanet interface.  Does anyone have a Sun on the Arpanet?
>	What 1822 interface do you use?  What  1822 device
>	driver/software?

	 Didn't see one in Catalyst.