[comp.emacs] mh-e/rmail/vm/...?

kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) (08/17/90)

In article <PIERSON.90Aug15094751@xenna.encore.com> pierson@encore.com
(Dan L. Pierson) writes:

   The Kyle Jones wrote VM.  One way to look at VM is as a mail mode
   that combines all the single file mail folder advantages of rmail
   with the summary mode support of mh-e.  But there's more! :-)

This sounds good.  Is this posted anywhere so that it can be gotten by
non-ftp, crippled-uucp sites?  Is there a newsgroup dedicated to it?

   There are a few additional things I'd like (better handling of
   compressed mail folders, appending to "open" folders, ...) but I'm
   glad I switched.

rmail seems to have trouble appending to open outgoing mail files
also.  The summary-mode deficits seem to be widely agreed upon.  It
might be nice if it were like gnus or integrated with gnus (except for
the speed).

I am looking forward to a good emacs mail facility!

(P.S.  Meanwhile, we are trying to encourage the system administrators
to understand that it is OK to setgid $EMACS/etc/movemail to group
mail so that rmail will work.  :-(.  It has taken two problem reports,
about 5 people, and two or three weeks so far, and the setgid still
needs to be done.  The emacs culture is a different culture from other
corporate cultures.  Anyone know a company where emacs is not feared?)
--
Neither representing any company nor, necessarily, myself.

kjones@talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) (08/18/90)

kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) writes:
 > This sounds good.  Is this posted anywhere so that it can be gotten by
 > non-ftp, crippled-uucp sites?  Is there a newsgroup dedicated to it?

Anonymous FTP information (for those who can use it):

xanth.cs.odu.edu		pub/vm/vm-4.41.tar.Z
tut.cis.ohio.state.edu		pub/gnu/vm/vm-4.41.tar.Z

You can get to the Ohio State archives via anonymous UUCP.  As I
recall, the details on how to do this are routinely posted to
comp.sources.d.  I'm willing to mail copies to people unable to
access either of these places.

There is no newsgroup devoted to VM, but serious thought is
being given to gatewaying a newsgroup to the existing info-vm
mailing list.

kyle jones   <kjones@talos.pm.com>   ...!uunet!talos!kjones

Send add/delete requests to info-vm-request@cs.odu.edu, list
submissions go to info-vm@cs.odu.edu.

brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) (08/18/90)

On 17 Aug 90 02:45:29 GMT,
kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) said:

> Anyone know a company where emacs is not feared?)

How 'bout two? I used to work at Intel, and Emacs was a definite favorite
of many (I heard they contracted RMS to port GNU Emacs to one of their
architectures--not sure if that's true though)? Here at DEC GNU Emacs is
also very popular with everyone (system administrators included). I should
qualify that by saying we're stricktly Ultrix in this part of DEC. Other
parts of DEC run VMS and make their users use All-in-One (gag!)

James
--
James Brister                                           brister@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab.                                 .....!decwrl!brister