[comp.emacs] GNU emacs RS6000

ejp@lsw.UUCP (Eric Porter) (08/15/90)

I have just recently received an IBM RS6000 and am feeling a bit lost
without emacs.

I have the sources for GNU Emacs (18.54.7) and am having trouble compiling
them on the RS6000.

Do patches exist for GNU Emacs on the RS6000, and if so how can I get them?

Any information/help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
       Eric Porter
-----
Eric Porter:  uunet!hadron!lsw!ejp

In article <120@lsw.UUCP> ejp@lsw.UUCP (Eric Porter) writes:

   I have just recently received an IBM RS6000 and am feeling a bit lost
   without emacs.

Please tell this to IBM.  They were, at one time, distributing GNU Emacs
with the RS6000, but ceased to do so for some trifling legal reason.
As we all know, legal reasons can be affected by economic reasons.
Threaten not to buy any more unless they come with GNU Emacs.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
We won the cold war.  The Russians spent trillions defending their stuff,

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (08/18/90)

In article <NELSON.90Aug16224848@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun (Russ Nelson) writes:
>   I have just recently received an IBM RS6000 and am feeling a bit lost
>   without emacs.
>
>Please tell this to IBM.  They were, at one time, distributing GNU Emacs
>with the RS6000, but ceased to do so for some trifling legal reason.
>As we all know, legal reasons can be affected by economic reasons.
>Threaten not to buy any more unless they come with GNU Emacs.

As I understand it, we were threatened with a lawsuit by another company.
I'm not sure who did the threatening, so I will not risk flames by
guessing.

IBM's reason for dropping Gnu EMACS *was* economic, through threat of
legal action.

Or that's what we hear in Cleveland, anyways.

Victor Grund
IBM Cleveland

geoff@edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) (08/20/90)

From article <1990Aug18.032057.22131@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, by grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund):
> In article <NELSON.90Aug16224848@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun (Russ Nelson) writes:
>>   I have just recently received an IBM RS6000 and am feeling a bit lost
>>   without emacs.
>>

> IBM's reason for dropping Gnu EMACS *was* economic, through threat of
> legal action.

	Yes but what about those of us that received it with the 9005
load of the OS. What if anything did IBM change in there version other than
s- and m- files. I do know that the 9005 version compiles under the golden
code just fine. Is it all right for us to have this code? Is it all right for
us to redistribute this code?

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (08/20/90)

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
In article <120@lsw.UUCP> ejp@lsw.UUCP (Eric Porter) writes:
Eric>    I have just recently received an IBM RS6000 and am feeling a
Eric> bit lost without emacs.
russ> Please tell this to IBM.  They were, at one time, distributing GNU Emacs
russ> with the RS6000, but ceased to do so for some trifling legal reason.
russ> As we all know, legal reasons can be affected by economic reasons.
russ> Threaten not to buy any more unless they come with GNU Emacs.

I'd hardly call being threatened with a law suit a trifling reason.
IBM is always a little skittish when litigation is threatened just
like any other big comanies. Anyway, how many other manufacturers
distribute GNU EMACS? Afterall, the patches for AIX 3.1 have already
been made available for anonymous ftp (just read comp.unix.aix for
details).

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ alternatives             woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

grund@pyrite.som.cwru.edu (Victor Grund) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug20.053814.2978@edm.uucp>, geoff@edm (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>	Yes but what about those of us that received it with the 9005
>load of the OS. What if anything did IBM change in there version other than
>s- and m- files. I do know that the 9005 version compiles under the golden
>code just fine. Is it all right for us to have this code? Is it all right for
>us to redistribute this code?

Sure it's all right for you to have this code.  Just follow the legal
agreements posted all over the source.  Everything is kosher as long
as IBM no longer distributes it, as I understand it.  Since anybody can
ftp the s- and m- files that you already have, I don't see why you
can't redistribute them.

But don't quote me.  :-)

I have received one email request to obtain the specifics of the
lawsuit that was threatened.  If the net is dying to know, I will
discover them.

Yes, the 9005 emacs compiles fine under the gold code for me also.
Nothing was changed other than s- and m- files, as far as I can tell.

Victor Grund
IBM Cleveland

ejp@lsw.UUCP (Eric Porter) (08/22/90)

In article <3205@awdprime.UUCP>, ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
> Afterall, the patches for AIX 3.1 have already
> been made available for anonymous ftp (just read comp.unix.aix for
> details).

Unfortunately, I do not have ftp access and have just started receiving
"comp.unix.aix" :-(.  Could someone please forward me the above mentioned
patches, or point me to someone with anonymous "uucp" who carries the patch.

Thanks much,

Eric
-----
Eric Porter      uunet!hadron!lsw!ejp