[comp.emacs] Summary of Emacs implementations

fin@norge.unet.umn.edu (Craig A. Finseth) (08/22/90)

A couple of months ago, I posted a request for information about Emacs
implementations.  I received an number of replies and have collated
them.  Attached is the list that I have so far.  If anyone out there
knows of additions or corrections to this list, please let me know via
email.

I am still missing information on:

	Epsilon
	Gosling's Emacs
	Jove
	Unipress Emacs

Thanks for your help.  I will post the final list with corrections in
a month or so.

name: Epoch
implementation language: C
macro language: Emacs Lisp
scope of implementation: full
hardware/software requirements: UNIX or VMS, X-windows 11R3 or later
organization:
	CB Project Group
	carroll@cs.uiuc.edu
free, anonymous FTP from cs.uiuc.edu [128.174.252.1]

name: Epsilon
implementation language: ?
macro language: ?
scope of implementation: ?
hardware/software requirements: ?
organization:
	name
	address
	phone
	email
free or for price:
if free, how to get:

name: Freemacs
implementation language: 8086 assembler
macro language: MINT, a string-oriented version of TRAC with editing
extensions
scope of implementation: full
hardware/software requirements: IBM PC
organization:
	Russel Nelson
	11 Grant Street
	Potsdam NY 13676
free, anonymous FTP from
	simtel20.army.mil			PD:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>
	grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196]	/e/freemacs

Also

CUHUG BBS: +1 315 268 6667. 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs. File area 25.  No
registration required to download Freemacs.

Bitnet && UUCP:  Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.
You may use archive-server%sun.soe.clarkson.edu@omnigate if you are on
Bitnet, or uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server if you are using
UUCP.  The mail message should consist of 'help' if you want to learn
how to use the archive server, or else if you just want to get
Freemacs, then send the following lines as a separate mail message.
If you have an unusual return address (i.e. not Bitnet, nor Internet,
nor known to uunet), use the 'path' command to give a path relative to
one of the above nets.
	send freemacs emacs15e.aa
	send freemacs emacs15e.ab
	send freemacs emacs15e.ac
	send freemacs emacs15e.ad
	send freemacs emacs15e.ae
	send freemacs emacs15e.af
 The files that you will get back should be concatenated together, run
through uudecode, and thence through an unARCer such as arc or pkxarc.

Author: Send $15 (copying fee) to the author.  This will assure you of
the latest version.  Please specify floppy format:
	5.25", 1.2 Meg
	5.25", 360K
	3.50", 720K

name: GNU Emacs
implementation language: C
macro language: Lisp
scope of implementation: full
hardware/software requirements: Unix, plus others
organization:
	Free Software Foundation
	675 Massachusetts Avenue
	Cambridge MA  02139
	+1 617 876 3296
free, anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu

name: Gosling's Emacs
implementation language: ?
macro language: ?
scope of implementation: ?
hardware/software requirements: ?
organization:
	name
	address
	phone
	email addres
free or for price:
if free, how to get:

name: Jove
implementation language: ?
macro language: ?
scope of implementation: ?
hardware/software requirements: ?
organization:
	name
	address
	phone
	email addres
free or for price:
if free, how to get:

name: MG2A, aka 'MicroGNU Emacs'
implementation language: C
macro language: none
scope of implementation: small to moderate subset
hardware/software requirements: DEC VAX/VMS version 4.x or later
organization:
	name
	address
	phone
	email addres
free, anonymous FTP from utadnx.cc.utexas.edu
as MG2A sources (in a compressed VMS save_set) and VMS executable

hardware/software requirements: Unix, IBM P.C.
if free, how to get: simtel20, pd1:<msdos.memacs>, pd1:<msdos.freemacs>.

name: MicroEMACS version 3.10
implementation language: C
macro language: custom
scope of implementation: full
hardware/software requirements:  MSDOS, PCDOS, Atari ST, Amiga
500/1000/2000, HP150, HP110, WICAT, UNIX 7, UNIX V5, SUN, BSD 4.[23],
NEC 9800 series, Fujitsu FMR series, data general AOS, and a few
others.
organization:
	Daniel Lawrence
	+1 317 742 5153
	mdbs!dan@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
	The Programmer's Room
	Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533
free (non-commercial), anonymous FTP from midas.mgmt.purdue.edu,
between the hours of 5pm and 8am

name: Mince / PerfectWriter / FinalWord
implementation language: C
macro language: none / none/ custom
scope of implementation: small / small / full
hardware/software requirements: CP/M and IBM PC
organization:
	Mark of the Unicorn, Inc.
	P.O. Box 423
	Arlington MA  02174
	+1 617 576 2760
not free, contact vendor for price information
only Mince is still available

name: Warren Montgomery's Emacs
implementation language: TECO-like
macro language: TECO-like
scope of implementation: ?
hardware/software requirements: UNIX System V, IBM PC
organization:
	AT&T Toolchest
	+1 201 522 6900, then login "guest" password "guest"
		to browse the menus
	Warren A. Montgomery
	+1 708 713 5090
	att!iexist!warren
not free, contact vendor for price information

name: Scame (loosely based on an editor called Scame by Leif Samuelsson)
implementation language: C
macro language: none
scope of implementation: small
hardware/software requirements: UNIX, VMS, IBM PC
organization:
	Multihouse Automatisering bv
	c/o Johan Vromans
	Doesburgweg 7
	2803 PL Gouda
	the Netherlands
	+31 1820 62911
	fax +31 1820 62500
	jv@mh.nl
free, ask the author for information on how to get a copy

name: Slick
implementation language: Slick macro language
macro language: Slick macro language
scope of implementation: subset
hardware/software requirements: IBM PC, MS/DOS or OS/2
organization:
	MicroEdge, Inc.
	14022 Golden Ct
	Woodbridge VA  22193
	+1 703 670 4575
not free, contact vendor for price information

name: Sprint
implementation language: C
macro language: custom
scope of implementation: medium
hardware/software requirements: IBM PC
organization:
	Borland International
	4585 Scotts Valley Drive
	Scotts Valley CA  95066-0001
not free, contact vendor for price information

name: Unipress Emacs
implementation language: ?
macro language: ?
scope of implementation: ?
hardware/software requirements: ?
organization:
	name
	address
	phone
	email addres
free or for price:
if free, how to get:

Craig A. Finseth			fin@unet.umn.edu [CAF13]
University of Minnesota			+1 612 624 3375

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (08/22/90)

Please don't advertise non-free software on GNU mailing lists.
Proprietary software projects don't deserve this sort of help.

rjb1@GTE.COM (Richard J. Brandau) (08/23/90)

rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:

>Please don't advertise non-free software on GNU mailing lists.
>Proprietary software projects don't deserve this sort of help.

Oh, no!  Now it's comp.emacs!  Where will they stop?  (First it's
Kuwait....)

-- Rich Brandau, GTE Labs, Waltham, MA  02254

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (08/27/90)

In article <rjb1.651366762@bunny.gte.com> rjb1@GTE.COM (Richard J.
Brandau) writes:

| rms@AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) writes:
|
| >Please don't advertise non-free software on GNU mailing lists.
| >Proprietary software projects don't deserve this sort of help.
|
| Oh, no!  Now it's comp.emacs!  Where will they stop?  (First it's
| Kuwait....)

The original message was posted on gnu.emacs in addition to
comp.emacs.  I believe that is what RMS was complaining about.  IMHO,
it really doesn't make much sense to post a list describing various
emacsen to a list that is dedicated to one particular emacs flavor.

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?