[comp.emacs] A Terminal with a META Key!

chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) (08/27/90)

I can't believe it. I have finally found a terminal that has a meta to
make emacs use easier. After calling around to nearly every terminal
manufacturer I could think of and finding that the very idea of a META
key was unheard of on dumb terminal, I finally broke down and just got
a Wyse 99GT for the tek emulation and vt220. I just abou flipped when
I noticed that you could set the function key to be META. I know that
it doesn't seem like much to get excited about but, after hearing
constant complaints from our emacs users, it is a relief.

--
"Stab it and steer!"
--

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (08/28/90)

In a recent article chari@math.utexas.edu (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:

>I can't believe it. I have finally found a terminal that has a meta to
>make emacs use easier. After calling around to nearly every terminal
>manufacturer I could think of and finding that the very idea of a META
>key was unheard of on dumb terminal, I finally broke down and just got
>a Wyse 99GT for the tek emulation and vt220. I just abou flipped when
>I noticed that you could set the function key to be META.

The Compose Character key, actually, next to the space bar. The Wyse
185 also has this. I don't know if the 99GT has it, but the key left to
the "1" key, over the Tab key, can be converted to an Escape key.

The Wyse 185 features VT320 emulation, ISO 8859/1 character set (naturally,
since it's a VT320 emulation) and overscan (no black border when a light
background is used), but doesn't have Tek graphics.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).