[comp.emacs] vm

kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) (08/27/90)

I have a copy of vm and have tried it.  Just thought I'd give this
update in case anybody has been wondering about vm/rmail/mh-e.

vm (available as described in a previous posting) seems to be a nice
alternative to rmail, since it is about the same size, subjectively.
It has mostly the same capabilities, give or take a few features.

It has UNIX-style (efficient) storage, and does not appear to have
rmail's bugs.  The header buffer tracks changes in the "article"
buffer.  It has some nice touches, and comes with documentation.

There is one thing that rmail seems to do better, which is to use
rmail-ignored-headers.  vm uses vm-visible-headers instead, which has
the opposite meaning.  I like to see unusual and unexpected headers.

It does not convert rmail files.  It does not have arbitrary labels.

Hope it helps.

--
Neither representing any company nor, necessarily, myself.

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (08/28/90)

In article <KPC00.90Aug27042532@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kpc00@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (kpc) writes:
   I have a copy of vm and have tried it. [...]
   It does not convert rmail files.

You can easily convert those files yourself.  Here is a little shell
script that someone posted a while ago to do this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# usage:	rmail-to-mail file1 file2 ...
#
# result:	file1~     is the original Babyl file
#		file1      is an empty Babyl file
#		file1.mail is a UNIX mail file with the messages from file1

cat > /tmp/$$.el << EOF
;;;
;;; Author:  Nathan Hess  (woodstock@hobbes.intel.com)
;;;
;;

(let ((file-to-be-converted (buffer-file-name))
      (message-count 0)
      (rmail-delete-after-output t)
      (unix-style-file-name (concat (buffer-file-name) ".mail")))
  (kill-buffer (current-buffer))
  (rmail file-to-be-converted)
  (rmail-show-message 1)
  (while (not (rmail-output unix-style-file-name))
    (setq message-count (1+ message-count)))
  (rmail-quit))
EOF

for f in "$@" ; do
    echo ">>> Doing $f"
    emacs -batch $f -l /tmp/$$.el -kill
    echo ">>> Done"
done

rm -f /tmp/$$.el

exit 0
--
Rich Kaul                         | It wouldn't be research if we
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    | knew what we were doing.

de5@de5.ctd.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (08/31/90)

In article <KAUL.90Aug27152750@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu>,
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) writes:

>You can easily convert those files yourself.  Here is a little shell
>script that someone posted a while ago to do this:

Not to jump down Rich's throat for a kind deed, but this sort of thing
is exactly why
I have the Lisp Code Directory and Elisp Archives.  Well, they also were
intended to
head off the `Does anybody have a <foo> mode?' type questions, too.

With the LCD installed, `M-x convert' gives:

                 Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "convert"

babyl-mail        89-08-17
     Skip Montaro, <montanaro@sprite.crd.ge.com>

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/babyl-mail.el.Z
     Quickie Babyl-to-mail convertor.
babyl-vm          89-08-10
     Ken Manheimer, <klm@cme.nist.gov>

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/babyl-vm.el.Z
     Babyl-to-vm convertor.
generate (2.0)    87-09-02
     Ciaran A Byrne, <ciaran@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk>

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/generate.el.Z
     Macro-to-elisp converter.
lint-convert      89-04-19
     Lars Pensj, <mcvax!kth!draken!chalmers!myab!lars@uunet.uu.net>

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/lint-convert.el
l.Z
     Convert output of lint for next-error.
mlconvert         88-05-30
     18.55 dist
     Convert buffer of Mocklisp code to real lisp.
refer2bibtex      89-01-11
     Henry Kautz,
<kautz%allegra.att.com@research.att.com,allegra!kautz>

tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/refer2bibtex.el
l.Z
     Convert refer-style bibliographic entries to ones usable by latex
bib.
texinfmt          88-07-21
     18.55 dist
     Convert texinfo files to info files.