[net.unix-wizards] SU unix sites mail broken...

BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA (04/17/86)

From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

There is currently a serious problem with mail to many of
the unix sites on campus that are not in the NIC host table.
This is that they will not accept mail addressed to their
domain name (eg playfair.stanford.edu)  Since Sushi is
using domains as a first choice, and Score is using domain
style names in preference to PUP (and much mail is forwarded
to these sites through Score) this means that they are not
receiving a lot of mail.

is there a simple solution to this problem (short of having
everybody start running full domain software)?  Maybe some
sendmail configuration file magic (there seems to be quite
a variety of such files out there - Playfair thinks that
its name is playfair.ARPA and leland thinks its name is
just leland, for example...)

BilLW
-------

greep@camelot (04/17/86)

From: Steven Tepper <greep@camelot>

I'm no expert on the sendmail config file, but I put in the following
quick hack to take of the problem on Camelot:

Date: 15 Apr 1986 1653-PST (Tuesday)
From: Steven Tepper <greep>
To: kolk@carmel
Subject: sendmail.cf change to handle xxx.stanford.edu

The arrow below points to the one line I added to sendmail.cf to handle
names like camelot.stanford.edu. (The other lines are just so you can tell
where in the file it was.)  I haven't had a chance to look this over
thoroughly, since I wanted to get something in quickly so we wouldn't lose
too much mail from the 20's.

	# arrange for local names to be fully qualified
	R$*<$*$=S>$*            $1<$2$3.LOCAL>$4                user@etherhost
	R$*<$*$=Z>$*            $1<$2$3.LOCAL>$4                user@berkhost
	R$*<$+.ARPA.LOCAL>$*    $1<$2.ARPA>$3                   because ARPA is a host

	# now delete the local info
---->   R$*<$*$=w.$=D.EDU>$*    $1<$2>$5                        thishost.STANFORD.EDU
	R$*<$*$=w.LOCAL>$*      $1<$2>$4                        thishost.LOCAL
	R$*<$*$=w.ARPA>$*       $1<$2>$4                        thishost.ARPA
	R$*<$*$=w.UUCP>$*       $1<$2>$4                        thishost.UUCP
	R$*<$*$=w>$*            $1<$2>$4                        thishost
	R$*<$*.>$*              $1<$2>$3                        drop trailing dot
	R<@>:$*                 $@$>0$1                         retry after route strip
	R$*<@>                  $@$>0$1                         strip null trash & retry

Also I modified sendmail plus the config file so that the machine now
recognizes its own internet addresses, since Score was sending these
out for a few days.  Before, it would recognize an internet address but
not realize that it was its own address, so it would try to send the
message back to itself via tcp and then notice that it was talking to
itself and complain, so as to avoid getting the message stuck in a loop.

PS: shouldn't this discussion be on MailHax rather than NetHax?

ALMQUIST@SU-SCORE.ARPA (04/17/86)

From: Philip Almquist <ALMQUIST@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

	An alternate solution to the mail problem would be for all hosts
to start using the host table being generated on ARGUS.  This is a
NIC-format host table containing both Stanford hosts and hosts registered
with the NIC.  This host table is accessible via an RFC811-style server
(UNIX gettable program and similar programs) or via anonymous ftp from
ARGUS as /netinfo/hosts.txt

	The table has been beta-tested for several weeks on AHWAHNEE, SAIL,
and the LOTS DEC-20's.  I had intended to delay public announcement until
it had also been tested on CARMEL, but circumstances seem to suggest more
immediate universal adoption might be desireable.

						Philip
-------

greep@camelot (04/17/86)

From: Steven Tepper <greep@camelot>

>       An alternate solution to the mail problem would be for all hosts
> to start using the host table being generated on ARGUS.

That doesn't work.  On our system, I first tried modifying /etc/hosts to
include camelot.stanford.edu as one of the host names, and Camelot still
didn't recognize that as being its own host name.  I haven't looked at
sendmail enough to know why.

mogul@su-navajo.arpa (04/17/86)

From: Jeff Mogul <mogul@su-navajo.arpa>

If you have a /usr/lib/sendmail.fc ("frozen configuration") on your
system, when you change anything important (the sendmail binary,
/usr/lib/sendmail.cf [of course], or the set of names for your machine
as in this case) you MUST rebuild sendmail.fc: "/usr/lib/sendmail -bz"
and then kill off and restart the sendmail daemon.

This is yet another thing that sendmail could have checked for, but
doesn't.  Too bad.

greep@camelot (04/23/86)

From: Steven Tepper <greep@camelot>

Re: my message dated 16 Apr 1986 1642-PST (Wednesday) suggesting a
one-line addition to sendmail.cf to handle hostname.stanford.edu, note
that sendmail requires that the separators between the LHS and the RHS
and between the RHS and the comments be tabs, not spaces.  Unfortunately
in the process of editing the message thee tabs got changed to spaces.
My apologies for any problems this may have caused.